Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Yuk! Why Me?!

As a rule, my dogs tend to stay clean when we go out other than when they go tear-arsing through ditches, puddles, swamps and the odd bog they have a habit of finding. Fortunately, it doesn't take too much effort to get them clean afterwards, even if they do get a bit grubby - and aside from that, if they come home absolutely filthy, I know they've had a nice time!

Well this morning started as any other. I took the dogs out separately because I was on my own with them and wanted to do a bit of training too. So Zane and Jenzi, no problem. It came to Yiannis's turn. We walked to the park. No problem. Met a few dogs along the way. No problem. He found the muddiest puddle imaginable not only to get his feet wet but to lie down in. No problem. Then he found a pile of poop!. No idea what animal it belonged to - could have been a horse or a cow (I know they look different but really, there was no way to distinguish this one). The smell wasn't too bad so I wasn't too bothered. I let him carry on running about in the park not too far away. He's a typical GSD and will come back every so often of his own accord to ensure I'm still there and never goes out of sight; so there was no chance of him coming across someone unexpectedly and getting them muddy or dirty.

Then he found some really stinky poop which can only be described, as a cross between the smell of fox poop and ordinary dog poop. Again, not as bad as it could have been.

But then................. the little sod finds the ultimate in poop!

BADGER POOP! I'm convinced he's at me. I reckon he has a badger poop radar. I didn't even know we had badgers in that park (the one by the airport for those who know Birmingham).

He's had a bath in about 4 different types of shampoo and smelly stuff. I don't know if I've got rid of the small (doubt it though) or if it's "in" my nose (if that makes any sense).

Is there anything like tomatoes etc to get rid of the smell? You know like when you get blasted by a skunk? Surely there has to be something to get rid of the smell - otherwise I can see Yiannis and I staying at a distance to each other for a couple of days at least!

For those who have never experienced the stench of badger poop, you haven't lived. But believe me, once you do, you'll never forget it!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Yeuch! I've never experienced badger poop but fox poop is bad enough! I hope you can get the smell out.

The worst thing Sneaks ever rolled in was a pile of human vomit outside a pub. I still shudder when I think about it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 11:01 AM
One of my dogs rolls in poo of some description almost every time she gets walked without fail. Human poo is by far the most revolting. So I'd say you are quite lucky.

I use an anti-odor dog shampoo (by Mikki I think?) which is generally pretty good at removing all poo smells.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Well Yiannis is now covered (well his fur is) in something called "Velvet Coat". About half a tin and I can still smell the badger poop. Still, nowhere near as bad as is was last time.

This time he hasn't saved it up for me!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I read somewhere that tomato ketchup was good at removing bad smells from dogs' coats?

I remember once I had just bathed Rusty (my previous dog-a Cairn terrier) and he found a dead Fox to roll in!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Badger poop must rank (excuse the pun) as being one of the worst.........absolutely vile, and far worse than even fox poo which is bad enough. Why on earth do they think that it is desirable and clever

I tried all manner of things with our last dog, who regularly did this sort of thing, and to be honest none of them completely removed the smell. There was something I got from the vets, in desperation, which smelt of apricots - it didn't really work, and believe me the combination of apricots and badger poop is not good.

I know someone who used to use febreze on her GSD Not to be recommended methinks, but it didn't work anyway.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
i must be lucky where opie's concerned because even though he likes rolling in mud so far he's not rolled in anything that smells disgusting. though he will insist on eating horse poo and then trying to lick me