Our sister sites
Our sister sites
danvik07
New Member!
Male 

10-12-2007, 06:54 PM

need a bit of advice.

hello

we've got a 12 month old boxer dog and its really good behaved, the problem is we need to have him in a cage while we are at work. it was the first day today he was in it i popped back 3 times to check on him he was really scared and shaking as i left.

how can i make him feel more sucure.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi

Welcome to Dogsey...

Just a few questions....

How long have you had the dog?
How long are you at work/leaving him in the crate for?
Do you use the crate for anything else (i.e. does he sleep in it at night etc?)

Should be able to offer help with a few more details!
danvik07
New Member!
Male 

10-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi

We Got Him At The Weekend
Leaving Him The Morning About Half 8 And I'm Coming Back At Dinner.
We Have Now Put His Bed In There As Well
We Put His Bowl In There And He Ate His Tea From Out Of It.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Welcome to Dogsey.
Your dog is still finding his feet and settling into his new home. How is he in the crate at night?
Do you leave him with water and toys?
How long is he in there for?

Is there any reason he has to be in the crate? Is he exercised thoroughly before going in?
Sorry for so many questions, but to help, it's better to have a clearer picture.
x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 09:38 PM
There's a really good article here: The Crate: What is it? How should it be used? which should give you some pointers on how to begin using a crate with your Boxer
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi and welcome....

Do you know your boys history, has he ever been crated before, if you have only just picked him up at the w/end then suddenly leaving him crated for hrs on his own, he may well get stressed...... just a question , why do you feel you need to cage him, I have nothing against cages, I have always used them,

Introducing an older dog to a cage, (specially if they have never been in one) is going to take longer than one day.....did you not try him out in it over the w/end while you where with him?

How long are you planning on leaving him in here while you are away?

The thing with cages is , we need to make it a safe haven for our dogs, they must feel safe in there, and by the sounds of it , you have gone to quickly , expecting him to just except it..

You need to start slowly with him, he must come to see his cage as a nice place, feed him all his meals in there for now, if you give him treats , give them in his cage, same with toys..... when he is sleeping close the door on him for short periods at a time, he must always be able to see you... by doing this he will become secure in there...then you can work him up to being left for longer....

You need to start again, this may sound unrealistic , but cant you or your partner take a week off to help him adjust to it. don't forget , he needs time (and you do) to adjust to his new surrounding, he is going to be a little insecure (specially if he has not had to good a life so far) and by just locking hm in a cage for hrs by himself , not being used to it, then it is no surprise he is distressed .

Is it possible to leave him with a little more free run, say a laundry or block some of the kitchen off , to start with?

You can also leave him with a kong stuffed with treats to keep him occupied while you are away.

I hope things can get sorted, and I commend you for taking him in, but there is no over night solution for this....and you may be in danger of making him fear crates for good , if it is not approached the right way.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, we are here if you need help.
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Excellent advice by Jackie, can't really add anything. Crate training can take time especially with an older dog. Dog's really shouldn't be left in cages for long periods of time so if possible give him access to a utility room or kitchen so he doesn't feel trapped in the crate.
danvik07
New Member!
Male 

11-12-2007, 06:57 PM
hi thank you for the advice we left him in the kitchen today
with the cage door open with his water and food in there.

came back on my dinner time to see him,he was unsettled
when we came from work he'd pulled the curtains down.
and been trying to get in the living room.