Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Rescues try very hard not to get it wrong and certainly do not want dogs to bounce constantly or rehome to the wrong home on purpose! A rescue will already have incurred expenses on the dogs as Ive already stated. How much would you give back of the £100 after speying, vaccs, worming etc.

What would you charge if a dog had come in requiring vet treatment that could run into thousands? Would you then pass that on to the adoptee? Do you really think rescues make a profit out of rehoming? Most I know are always desperate for money so they can keep helping more dogs especially the old and the ill.

As a breeder you choose to incurr those expenses. Should rescues then choose which dogs they take in - the old or ill being too costly to their profit margins? Many of the dogs are in rescue for months how much feeding costs would that incurr?

Do you really believe that whatever the donation is goes anywhere near covering the costs of rehoming a dog?

Your contract states that money will be given back if and when the dog is resold, but with out of pocket expenses taken out, is that not more of an incentive for people to try and sell your pups on to get all the money back or even more?
So very true :smt001
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Personally I would like to see tighter restrictions on advertising,breeding and selling of all dogs.I would like no more ads in free papers,local evening papers and these freeas on the net.If these were in place I believe we might see a reduction in byb breeders purely for money,because they have no place for advertising.

I would like to see all pups chipped(compulsary) before they leave there Breeder,I would like to see heavy fines,for those breeders that don't comply.
Sorry to keep multi quoting people but another excellent post! I totally agree :smt001 no more dogs in free adds that would be a dream come true! not just because of BYB's but it'd help put an end to dog dealers too.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
If my pups go locally I do unannounced spot checks,which has worked very well,we also state whatever the time night or day,if you have any worries or concerns ring us.I don't care if it's 3 in the morning.
Good-on-you :smt041 :smt041
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
To be honest with you not very much compared to what some of the other rescues are doing, however we will act on those we hear about, informing other rescues and the authorities where possible and continually try to educate the general public.
I think the problem with offering to refund is it gives people the wrong impression, I don't want potential adopters thinking; we can see how it goes if it doesn't work out after all we can get our money back! Adopting a dog should be seen as a long term commitment no matter what. They're not goods to be bought and refunded. So as a general rule no, although having said that in ten years we've only had one return, so it's not something we come across very often
I think your record is commendable. :smt001
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Clearly they are not dependent on these palty "donations" or they would be out of business.
That's the thing it's not a business, there's no profit to be made, I have to continually supplement AllBreeds Rescue otherwise it wouldn't be able to carry on.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I think your record is commendable. :smt001
Thank you very much, it's something we are extremely proud of, I hope we can say the same again in 10 years.............off to touch wood
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:07 PM
That's the thing it's not a business, there's no profit to be made, I have to continually supplement AllBreeds Rescue otherwise it wouldn't be able to carry on.
I think you are missing my point in the same way Patch did. I have no doubt at all that expenses are extraoridinary, contrary to Patches assertions I have no diffiuculty in understanding and appreciating that, I also appreciate you, personally, don't do this because you place yours carefully enough not to have returns (not sure how you have avoided deaths etc though :smt001 ) but does that make it ethical to sell a dog twice and does it create an incentive for less ethical rescuers to engineer it so? I believe it may do and as the rescue would be no worse off than if the placing had been successful I really can't see a justification for it.
BTW I'm sorry I mean business in the generic sense, like "meaning business" I know you are non profit making :smt001
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:08 PM
it has nothing to do with my point which is the incentives that could be created for certain rescues perhaps in not giving refunds.
For dog dealers or dd's passing themselves off as rescue yes I agree it probably is an incentive probably for some byb's too
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:12 PM
For dog dealers or dd's passing themselves off as rescue yes I agree it probably is an incentive probably for some byb's too
Yes, I would like to see all breeders operate any returns in this way although I know many responsible ones that don't but my biggest fear for them is that people will not return to them but sort it themselves in the small ads.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I have no diffiuculty in understanding and appreciating that, I also appreciate you, personally, don't do this because you place yours carefully enough not to have returns (not sure how you have avoided deaths etc though :smt001 )
Your right we've never had a dog returned to us due to the owner dying, this is partly luck but also because of our checks, Some of you may scoff, but we generally won't home pups/young dogs to elderly people, those where we do we ask for proof/check they have someone, we feel is suitable, willing to take the dog on should they die before the dog does, informing us if this happened. We've had two occasions where we were concerned about the potential adopters health so asked for a letter from their doctor, we could have just turned them down but wanted to give them benefit of the doubt, both admitted their degenerative illness instead of getting a letter, subsequently we didn't/couldn't home either of them a dog. I'm sure it's a matter of time, despite our checks, when we will one day get one of our dogs returned because the owner has died but at least we will know we had done everything in our power to prevent it.
Page 31 of 33 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 >