Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Do I chop up wooden three piece?

Have a solid oak three piece suite the wood is thick and solid but I cannot now manage it and it needs re upholstering. Any suggestions of where I could get rid of it for a little cash as its perfect wood. We only have one used furniture shop in town and they are not keen at least was told they have too many suites at present, just seems a waste to chop it up. Its well aged being about 28 years old and bought in Germany was rather expensive then but these days can only afford cheaper units, ah poor us eh. anyone any ideas please thanks
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Have you thought about putting it on Ebay, or even just putting an ad in your local paper? (I've never sold online, but I bet somebody on here has!)

Failing that, you could do a good deed and donate it to a charity shop, or to a local nursing home or hospice. It seems such a waste just to chop it up
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 05:49 PM
why not put it on your local freecycle group/list?

I am sure it will be snapped up, regardless of condition.

find your local list here: www.freecycle.org

http://www.freecycle.org/groups/unitedkingdom/#Cumbria
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Problem with anything upholstered is it has to have it's fire safety tags attached or its actually illegal to even give it away, and def illegal to sell it.... hence why so many charites that collect furniture for those in need won't touch them.

It doesn't stop at upholstery, I had an elderly client who had a gorgeous wall unit/sideboard that needed a home so I rang a local furniture charity. They didn't want to know as it had a glass door, and the glass didn't have a sticker to say it was safety glass.

That and a three piece suite had to go to the dump.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 06:02 PM
yeah but if you freecycle it, some budding upholsterer may get the chance to work their magic (up to safety standards of course ), and petebren gets to their bit to safe the planet by stopping yet more going into landfill!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2007, 07:31 PM
If the timber is of good size-ask a carpenter or joiner because quality seasoned oak is quite expensive.If you were nearer-i'd have it cause i like using oak.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I have to agree with Thandi and put it on freecycle
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Oh thats a fantastic idea, freecycle, am going to join local group, never knew about it but do now and will pass it on to friends and family great idea, thank you for telling me about it x