View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Just reading these posts, I think I make the cost of owning 3 dogs expensive.

I always opt for premium insurance policies so thats why I pay alot for those. I'm just too scared to get a policy with more limited cover and get stung at the vets, especially since my lot make me cover my eyes with some of the stunts they pull. They've had frequent visits to the vets but all down to injuries, never illnesses.

I choose to feed raw which, depending on how you source it, can work out costly. So far I havent sourced mine as wisely as I should and get excited when I see things like quail, partridge, guinea fowl etc for sale in the supermarkets and cant resist giving my dogs a tasty dinner. They eat far better than anybody I know!

I also have a bit of a fetish for collars and I buy new ones regularly. They have collars for everyday usage, posh collars for shows, collars that fit their personality or breed (Flynn has one with pheasants embroidered on it for example).

I think if I kept everything to a minimum, chose cheaper products then I wouldnt find their upkeep so expensive.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I work full time solely to keep my dogs and cats in the manner to which they have become accustomed!

My cats are actually a damn sight more expensive than the dogs in terms of feeding (and cat litter v. value nappy sacks)

I don't have insurance - i do have some money put aside each month though for small vets bills and a credit card which will only get used for larger vets fees (though has never had anything on it). My dogs last went to their vets for puppy vaccinations and for Ivan to be castrated - which was about 5 years ago. Annual eye tests for the girls are the only regular medical expense though as neither gretchen or kammi will be having a litter there is only the puppy now.

Like others I don't smoke, I do drink on occasion and I have a limited social life in terms of going out... I also have a lot of friends who are in multi dog households so a cheap afternoon out will be a meet up in the park with the dogs.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 08:51 PM
lol I don't add it up it would kill me!

Seriously though, you just do manage. They are a priority. You cant have a dog and not feed it...if it means no other hobbies then it means no other hobbies until your better off I suppose....
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Simple, they are my life, they come first. I'm not well off by any stretch and even just took a second job to make ends meet. But my pets get the best care and they get what they need first, me second. I don't have kids, or any other hobbies. But I absolutely delight in my pets, I need nothing more.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

Seriously though, you just do manage. They are a priority. You cant have a dog and not feed it...if it means no other hobbies then it means no other hobbies until your better off I suppose....
I think that was my dads thought, except he got me a pony, then realised it would have been cheaper to get another dog Now I have got my horses monthly payments sorted after a year, I can now afford a dog
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
There must be some very 'well off' folk to be in a position to adopt.rehome dogs n everything along with it,no offense, but how do you manage it? Insurance, feeding, vet bills, trainers etc. ?
I don't smoke/drink booze/do drugs
I don't have a fancy car or a fancy house
I don't buy fancy clothes
I don't go out clubbing
I don't eat out - tho part of that is because of my restricted diet
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I just make the OH go out to work to pay for it all
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I just make the OH go out to work to pay for it all
Last year when I was off work due to health, Bf paid for all my horsey things, horse, and our rodents, plus the house bills. I felt so bad when I had to calulate a rough estimate of my horse costs for him the other day I thought to myself, thank god I have had a pay rise now at work, as I am back to paying for the animals
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

Lol, that's just what I was going to say! I'd be horrified if I added up how much I spent on my two, especially the old boy who costs me £200 each time I go to the vet and he doesn't have insurance

For once in my life, HM Govnt will be subsidising my dogs from March this year coz they are giving me my pension at long last which I've worked very hard for my entire life, and if that's not enough to keep them in the manner to which they have now become totally and thoroughly spoiled, then I'll just have to tell hubby to work a bit harder to cover it! Sorted! I do actually work myself though, even though I shouldn't have to at my ripe old age, but it's something I've always done and always will just because we like the finer things in life, just like our doglets! Simples!

Dogs are much cheaper than horses, and I've already done my bit for the horse world, now it's the dog's turn.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds like people manage to meet costs in similar ways n not ones for going out or expensive living etc. We're all 'doggy' (n love animals) n they mean more than any of all that other stuff, i'd rather have a dog to go walking n curl up with on an evening than go clubbing or shopping any day
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6