Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
J, I really feel for Kamille - she's not had it easy and I can understand her not wanting to part with Bella while her daughters were going through so much (not necessarily in Bella's best interests, but understandable IMO).

If Kamille wants to persist with the crate, she needs to be aware that it takes a long time. I can't exactly remember how long it took for Satch to get used to his crate in any situation (obviously there's a difference between a dog being comfortable with being in a crate while people are in the room and being ok with being left for a couple of hours while you're shopping). I think it porbably took a few weeks in all. But obviously Satch was 8 weeks old when I started crate training, so Kamille can expect it to take much longer as Bella's that much older. It's got to be done really slowly, with little baby steps in progress and much praise for the right behaviour. If I were Kamille I'd start again and train Bella as if she were a tiny puppy, but also bear in mind that Bella's accidentally learned a lot of bad behaviour. Kamille needs to encourage Bella to believe her crate is a place of safety, of treats and of comfort. She can try covering the crate with a blanket making it seem like a den which helps some dogs.

Out of interest, what did Kamille do when she found Bella had escaped?

I don't know if Kamille's already tried these, but there are other methods to assist separation anxiety - DAP diffusers (which release chemicals that mimic the scent of a lactating bitch and can calm stressed dogs), leaving the TV or radio on, not making a fuss when you leave or return, and darkening the room Bella's left in to mimic night and encourage sleep. If Bella's clingy, Kamille could always try leaving her with an unwashed piece of clothing Kamille's worn.

Hope some of this helps J

Becs
Hi Becs

I've copied and printed this aswelll... Kamille told her "bad dog" in a normal voice and didnt make a fuss of it.

Thank you for your help...

J
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
I am appaled ... I would be inclined to get in touch with the manufacturers of the crate, it looks very poor quality too me with badly welded joints. I have looked at some crates roundabout and have noticed the quality varies quite a lot. If it was purchased in this country I would state the trade descriptions act which says goods must be "suitable for the purpose for which they are intended" to me this crate was not and could have seriously damaged the dog or worse if a piece of steel had severed an artery..To me £40 does not seem a lot for a large crate and it may be made with low quality steel

Edited...compare the first crate with Becs crate..notice things like the gap at the bottom and the door closures ..it looks nowhere near the same quality to me as the one Becs has ...i'm afraid it's the old story of you get what you pay for...
Hi Mini

We talked about quality just before when I were there... I'm sure Luna could have been in this crate without problem, but Bella is VERY VERY strong, and will do EVERYTHING to be with her mum...

And I can see, that Satch's crate is much better.. And have told Kamille this, and she agrees...
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
J, Wish you guys well on the crate training - really glad you posted about it, it's good to see how the progress will come about.

Just a question regarding Bella and her playtime, how much stimulation does Bella get? how often is she left on her own? any games that present a real challenge to her? I might be wrong but it does sound like she's not getting enough mental challenges on top of not being crate trained. Has Kamille got the Ultimate GSD book edited by Sheila Rankin? (provided that her english is as good as yours), it really is fantastic.

Good old Bella, she'll get there in the end J with yours and Kamille's perseverance.

BTW I certainly aren't qualified to give advice but by reading loads of specific GSD books I certainly found it's helped understanding GSD's a bit better, it might help Kamille too?
Hi Ingrid..

Kamille is home on maternal leave now... Bella isnt left much these days... Bella is always on the move on walks.. SHe runs from she's let off lead till she's put back on lead.

I've told Kamille, Bella needs more mental stimulation, kamille agrees somewot, but dont think that this is the problem alone...

Nope I dont think she has this book, but will pass it along...

I have told her AGAIN tonight, she needs more mental stimulation...

I always treasure your advice Ingrid, and as you said, I think we could learn alot more reading about our breed...

J
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks J you know it's reciprocal - good for you for being so open with Kamille, you are a very good friend to her!

Has Kamille thought about teaching Bella 'seek' or tracking skills? - with the combination of training and fun rolled in together I'm sure Bella would love it, (We're going to teach Fern these, as he'll be very bored if he leads our lifestyle in front of our PC's )

SB gave me some great info and I've got the link if you think it might be of interest to Kamille

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/for...xer_12349.html

xi
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Hi Ingrid

Oooh that looks great... Will copy that
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Jeanette...I used a crate for Tara when she was little co's she was a chewer...We went out one day left her in her crate with a frozen Kong..When we got back she met us at the door, the crate was still closed latches in place...kong empty..Still to this day I do not know how she got out of it....Unless one of the other opened it, let her out, then closed it again!!!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moli
Hi Jeanette...I used a crate for Tara when she was little co's she was a chewer...We went out one day left her in her crate with a frozen Kong..When we got back she met us at the door, the crate was still closed latches in place...kong empty..Still to this day I do not know how she got out of it....Unless one of the other opened it, let her out, then closed it again!!!!
Very weird isnt it? But we can see on the crate, where she came out...

Just dont get HOW she could do...

Could you leave her in the crate afterwards without her doing it again??
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4