View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 08:48 AM
What size is this dog, must be a pup I would guess and will soon grow to big to do this. Would think that it could hear he voice as trying to escape from their cages is unusual, they normaly can't wait to get in.

Guess you have been talking about this dog but I either have not read or can't remember if it is a pup or not.

do you think there may have been an error in the fastening of the cage, the clips look as if they may be sprung and may be they did not go home properly.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I think the dog is an adult Thordell - or almost adult.

How did she get out. If she has managed to force the top or bottom of the door that is very dangerous. She could get her head out and then get stuck, doing significant damage if not killing herself.

If she has forced the door at its weak spot/s then your friend needs to reinforce the locking mechanism. If there is just one central bolt then bolts/clamps need to be installed at top and bottom of the door.

ETA Just looked at the photo. If she has squeezed out of a double-locked door then that could indeed be a fatal exercise in future. Make sure the crate is safe, or leave the door unlatched.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 10:07 AM
This is pics, I've just taken of the crate.. The grey is her blanket, and the white is the plastic bottom. The gate is opened to the left of the pic:

Yeah well Kamille aint trying agaain, as you can see, it wouldnt really work...

Both sides (In the bottom) have been kinda pushed out. From wot I can see, she has pushed herself out, where the front side and the side joins (does that make sense???) not the gate-opening itself...

She is at a loss from wot to do now...
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 10:11 AM
omg j i think it's best she leaves the crate idea, or she'll end up with a dead dog on her hands!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

30-07-2005, 10:19 AM
She must have been going berserk in there to do that much damage Did your firend not hear anything? Certainly do not use the crate again until those wire spikes have been repaired or removed. Does your friend understand that she cannot just lock a dog in a crate and leave it? Getting the dog used to a crate must be a very gradual process: one minute out of the room, two minutes, three minutes, etc. coming back only when all is calm.

It will work if she handles it correctly.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
She must have been going berserk in there to do that much damage Did your firend not hear anything? Certainly do not use the crate again until those wire spikes have been repaired or removed. Does your friend understand that she cannot just lock a dog in a crate and leave it? Getting the dog used to a crate must be a very gradual process: one minute out of the room, two minutes, three minutes, etc. coming back only when all is calm.

It will work if she handles it correctly.
Hi Sally and SB

Kamille have been able to be in another room for an hour, while Bella was in the crate (gate closed) with no problem. This time, Kamille went out the frontdoor.. Stood there listening for 5 minutes.. nothing.. came back after 20 minutes to a Bella standing in the hall greeting her welcome home.

Bella has been calm in the crate up untill this time.. No whining, no barking no nothing.. And she wasnt just put in the crate and left. Kamille have been starting out with 5 minutes (I think) and worked her way up, and Bella has been fed in the crate. Perhaps it was still too fast.. She werent going to be gone for hours... the basement is just below the apartment..

So this is quite the surprise AND scare for both Kamille and me..

So if the crate is fixed (or a new one bought) she should simply start from scratch with one minute, 2 minutes and so on.. This also goes for when she is trying to leave the appartment? 1 minute come back, 2 minutes come back?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

30-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Had Kamille practised going out and closing the front door and coming back in the same way as practising the going in and out of the room? If she has not previously actually left the house with Bella in her crate this may be the cause of the escape. A dog knows through hearing and other senses whether the owner is in the house or has gone out. Kamille left too long a period (25mins) before coming back to check. She has to do the exiting from the house as slowly & patiently as she did moving from one room to another.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Had Kamille practised going out and closing the front door and coming back in the same way as practising the going in and out of the room? If she has not previously actually left the house with Bella in her crate this may be the cause of the escape. A dog knows through hearing and other senses whether the owner is in the house or has gone out. Kamille left too long a period (25mins) before coming back to check. She has to do the exiting from the house as slowly & patiently as she did moving from one room to another.
Right.. Thank you SB, I will pass this on. I've printed the article you made on cratetraining aswell. Will bring that down to her..
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

30-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Right.. Thank you SB, I will pass this on. I've printed the article you made on cratetraining aswell. Will bring that down to her..
I hope it will help. Let us know how things are going.
SB
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I sure will

And thank you again..
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >