Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laundry Broad
New Member!
Female 

27-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Dog seizures? How do you know?

A little back history, My little Speck is a rescue dog. He was between 2 and 3 when we got him. The SPCA said he had Kennel Cough, but at the end of the meds he was no better so I took him to my Vet. As it turns out he had Heart Worm, so after 2 weeks of owning this little man I put $400 into him. He did very well with the treatment and recovered well. About a year later in the fall my husband was walking him in the park and he had a severe seizure, followed up by a smaller one. We rushed him to the vet (where he had a smaller one) and they seemed to think as long as this doesn't happen all the time it's just a 'thing' that might happen and not really indicative of anything abnormal. This fall he came home with 2 ticks, although not deer ticks, so they said it shouldn't be a problem. Last night my husband woke me up in the middle of the night becauses the dog was shaking uncontrolably. He didn't seem like he was having another seizure, and was in no pain. There was no foaming, or panting, nothing really except for the shaking, so here's my question. Do I take him back to the vet's office where they will likely tell me it's just seizures? Or could it be indicative of something else? Small strokes perhaps?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I would advise to take him back to the vet. Even if the vet does say its seizure at least it will put your mind at rest.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2006, 03:48 PM
It does sound like something that needs investigating tbh. Personally I would go back to the vets and tell them everything that has happened.

It could have been that he had another fit, and you only caught him shaking after it. Was there a funny smell? Or anything which might have looked like he had a seizure? (furniture knocked/marks on the floor etc)

I am surprised they passed off the first seizure as 'just a thing' - if he does have epilepsy the fitting can be controlled with drugs.

Here's an article on the topic by Snorri: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14937
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Laundry Broad welcome to Dogsey. Your Little one does seem to have had a rough time in his short life.
How old is Spec now , was he left with a heart condition, how is he today, is he eating and behaving normally ?

The shivering could be due to a number of things and for peace of mind a vets check is a good idea.

Is Spec warm enough at night? He is fairly smooth coated, is it cold where you are in the USA, he may feel the cold. Perhaps he often shakes and no one has noticed if you are normally asleep.

Hope all is well with your little dog soon...
Laundry Broad
New Member!
Female 

27-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Speck seems to be just fine today. Eating and drinking fine. He woke me up at 6 to go out like usual. He's a terrier breed and has a fairly smooth coat so I don't think it was that he was cold. We tend to keep the house at 70 degrees so it should have been more than warm enough, but he will usually climb under the blankets if he feels the need. I guess it's hi ho hi ho back to the vet we go.....