Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2011, 12:31 AM

Lame and advice

ok my 7 month old bullmastif cross rotty went to the vets nearlly 2 months ago for a lame leg and was fixed with tabs and 3 weeks no walks etc. now last night he was spooked and jumped up and limped a little, got up this morning and he was ok so took him for his afternoon walk and on getting back i seen a little limp again, anyway after his sleep he woke limping and has done everytime he's gotton up after his sleep. when i took him before the vet said it was nothing to worry about and will be fine after his rest and tabs to which he was. but now im worried is it due to him being a big dog breed and he still growing he'll get them from time to time, im stumped and worried my puppy could end up with a long term problem. any advice will be very appreciated. my partner has given me this link just as i was writing this thread could this be the problem.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1561&aid=466
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2011, 01:17 AM
This reminds me a bit of a Mastiff we used to walk with, he had a lame leg which the vet said rest him with very little walking, we did not see the dog for months and when we did he had put a massive ammount of weight on and was still limping and looked really miserable, he would of been around one year old then. A freind of ours surggested accupuncture, saw them a few weeks later what a big difference, running around playing with the other dogs, you could almost see the smile on his face.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Think you need to go back to the vet. Sometimes speculating & reading things on the web can only alarm you. The limp could be somEthing or nothing, however do feel it needs checked out.

Until you see the vet again i wouldnt exercise him

Out of interest how much exercise do you give? Large breed pups are better not having a lot of exercise until 12 - 14 months at skeletal maturity
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 07:46 AM
If you feel your vet is brushing you off and not taking this seriously then I'd recommend seeing another vet - either at the same practice or another one in the area. Even if it's "just" pano, the vet should have explained this to put your mind at ease.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 07:47 AM
what leg is it?

as vb says it could be something or nothing likeliest is just a muscular strain BUT with a large breed dog it can be growth plates,cruciate,shoulder elbows etc.......
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
ok my 7 month old bullmastif cross rotty went to the vets nearlly 2 months ago for a lame leg and was fixed with tabs and 3 weeks no walks etc. now last night he was spooked and jumped up and limped a little, got up this morning and he was ok so took him for his afternoon walk and on getting back i seen a little limp again, anyway after his sleep he woke limping and has done everytime he's gotton up after his sleep. when i took him before the vet said it was nothing to worry about and will be fine after his rest and tabs to which he was. but now im worried is it due to him being a big dog breed and he still growing he'll get them from time to time, im stumped and worried my puppy could end up with a long term problem. any advice will be very appreciated. my partner has given me this link just as i was writing this thread could this be the problem.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1561&aid=466

We've had the same or similar problem here. Dexter had a very slight limp/lameness. I was worried it might suggest an underlying problem such as hip dysplasia.

The vet said no walking or running or even going up stairs for a week and a half and she gave him anti inflammatories also. That seems to have helped BUT like you I remain concerned...

If you are really worried then maybe ask the vet about X rays...?

The only difficulty there is that your dog would probably have to be either sedated or have a GA for the X ray.

If you're worried don't leave it, go back to the vet and tell him that you are not happy.

Best wishes
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2011, 10:13 AM
thanx peeps for the advice, he gets one walk a day an hour maybe a little longer thats all as i was told about the growth and to much excercise in big dog's. the vet checked him last time and was 100% sure nothing was wrong with his joints at all just muscular, but remembering back he did mention pano due to him being half rotty and big dogs being prone to it. he his a fantastic vet always thorough and explains things in detail. but this mornin nothing at all no limps nothing, but if he starts again he'll be of to the vets. it was very worrying and happening again worried me more. but just vet up now and he defo thinks it could be pano, but to put my mind at rest he will do xrays. so will sort that out then let peeps know.