Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 08:53 AM

Archie and his food

At the minute archie is on pro plan giant puppy food.

i will be introducing raw, as thats what i want him on overall. Ive introduced a bit slowly, he's had beef mince and tripe so far. Im just waiting for the suppliers to get mince back in, and finish off his bag of dry food.

just wondering when i switch him full time onto raw how much he should be getting a day? he currently weighs 26kg, Im not sure on what weight he should be, judging by the internet he should weigh between 25kg and 34kg. now he is only 1, so still a puppy, so should i be feeding the 3% rule? or just 2%?

he currently has two meals a day, one at 8 in the morning and the other at 6 in the evening, i cant decide whether to put him on one, but think with the whole risk of bloat i may keep him on two. can someone also just let me know that the general bloat rule is wait an hour before or after exercise?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:31 AM
When Rupert came to me (to live for good) I switched him straight to RAW (Its what I fed then) and he was fine. I did have to teach him to chew his wings tho

I do not and will not ever just feed once a day, and it isnt just because of bloat. Regular feeding helps maintain the blood sugars, big drops can cause silliness, drops in attention, and in the case of Kerrie Freezer/Fridge/surface raiding
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:37 AM
thank you. i dont think i will switch to one a day, i dont really like the idea. i will switch him to raw when i can, still having issues with the supplier at the minute.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I gave up on RAw because of suppliers.

TBh, I change brands/feeding methods every month ( variety is the spice of life and all that) and I have never had a problem with changing
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I gave up on RAw because of suppliers.

TBh, I change brands/feeding methods every month ( variety is the spice of life and all that) and I have never had a problem with changing
I've had a nightmare with them to be honest, i know its not raw to go's fault that DAF freezer have messed up. i would rather feed raw but may have to resort back to feeding commercial.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I would start off feeding him 3% of his predicted adult weight then adjust accordingly if you feel he is getting a bit porky.

At 1 Bernese are around the weight you would expect them to be when adult they need to fill out and muscle up but you shouldn't be looking at a big differences in their weight from then on. Not sure if this is the same for Pointers.

Dillon gets 2.5% of his predicted adult weight it is a little under but I need to keep him lean because of hips and joints.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I would start off feeding him 3% of his predicted adult weight then adjust accordingly if you feel he is getting a bit porky.

At 1 Bernese are around the weight you would expect them to be when adult they need to fill out and muscle up but you shouldn't be looking at a big differences in their weight from then on. Not sure if this is the same for Pointers.

Dillon gets 2.5% of his predicted adult weight it is a little under but I need to keep him lean because of hips and joints.
thank you, well archie looks a bit on the lean side to me at the minute, but the people he had been staying with said he wasnt eating properly so that could be why.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
First of all congrats, I seem to have missed his story. Second 3% and two meals. If I am going to let mine run I wait 2 hours after food to walk them and 2 hours before. Bloat is a horrid thing and I just don't want to take the risk. Lead walking I wait an hour to an hour and a half. Don't use a raised bowl, metal is best and don't let him wallop it down. Be particularly bloat aware now as the move will have caused stress which is a massive trigger for it.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
If he is a hoover dog, then you might want to consider scatter feeding (I feed mine like this most evenings)