Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Trixie Dog Activity Memory Trainer

Just thought I would share my review of this as Zooplus have it on special offer at the moment:-

http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog...puzzles/448793

If you have an intelligent, food-driven dog, he/she will love this! I bought it for Esau last Christmas and as his arthritis has worsened, this toy has really come into its own. I put some of his dinner into it and he gets so excited when he sees it come out! He is encouraged to move, but not too much. Sometimes I will hold the button and ask for a trick - 'spin' or 'lay-down-roll-over' rather than just getting him to target the button, which keeps the game alive and fresh. I've even hidden the button in a cardboard box (letting him see me do it) and let him work out how to get at it.

Drawbacks - he once bashed at the dispenser in his excitement to get treats, and unfortunately it delivered a small number of them and so he thinks this is a way to get rewarded: it's been very hard to 'unteach' this!

It does tip over if a big dog nudges at it (a smaller dog wouldn't be able to do this) so I have taken to wedging it between two chairs. Esau also digs at the button and flips it over, so I either hold the button in my hand, or wedge the rubber surrounding bit under a chair-leg or table-leg. It does come with a grass peg but I'd probably want to use something more robust - at the moment he's only used it inside the house.

This would be a great toy for teaching 'stay', easing separation anxiety or nervousness, or doing obedience and agility. It'd be great for overweight dogs or ones who bolt their food, encouraging both exercise and making meal times last longer. It's great for less mobile owners to encourage their dog to exercise, or to distract a pup while you hang up washing or push a broom round the kitchen!

In fact, I can't think of a dog who wouldn't gain from having this toy, or owner, for that matter!

No affiliations with either the manufacturer or Zooplus, just a satisisfied customer!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2015, 06:00 PM
It's expensive for something that looks so flimsy. Seems like it would just get beaten up as my 40 kg Nigredo greedily went for the food he knows is inside. He'd destroy the device, not be bothered by the button thingy. Needless to say, my Jade would have no interest in it as it's only for smart dogs. She'd get confused and give up. I'm American, and have no idea if it's even available here. Cute device, but I doubt we could use it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Think I'll leave the memory trainer and have Esau instead He is absolutely gorgeous Great review btw
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
It's expensive for something that looks so flimsy. Seems like it would just get beaten up as my 40 kg Nigredo greedily went for the food he knows is inside. He'd destroy the device, not be bothered by the button thingy. Needless to say, my Jade would have no interest in it as it's only for smart dogs. She'd get confused and give up. I'm American, and have no idea if it's even available here. Cute device, but I doubt we could use it.
Not flimsy at all! Esau bashed and bashed at it, but it survived fine. It just fell over. Any toy would under that sort of assault - you'd need to bolt it to the floor to avoid it! A few bits of kibble were shaken free when it fell, but after that, it didn't release any treats.

I would not recommend a toy that was flimsy!

It's also much cheaper than similar products on the market right now. The Manners Minder is over £100 and the ICPooch is around £135 This one doesn't use wifi but I don't need it to.

It doesn't need a highly intelligent dog to make the connection between pressing the button and the treat, just a bit of time and persistence. It comes with instructions on how to do this.

I realize its a lot of money for a 'just' a dog toy, but I think it's excellent value, I'd pay more to see the fun my dog is having with it!
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Think I'll leave the memory trainer and have Esau instead He is absolutely gorgeous Great review btw
Thanks Lacey, and yes, he is
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by PONlady View Post
If you have an intelligent, food-driven dog, he/she will love this!
Interesting product, we have a very intelligent dog, but she is also big dog and she isn't food driven, in fact we usually have to hand feed a few bits of chicken to get her started on her regular meal.

Can't see any probs with it 'tho it may tempt the owner to give too many treats i.e. fill the toy too many times and that might lead to putting on weight.

Good value considering the electronics and plastic mouldings involved.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2015, 08:13 AM
I considered buying one when I was looking for games for Georgina and Gwylim, but as I have two dogs decided against it as only one dog at a time can play with it. Instead, I bought 4 other games for them as well as some agility equipment which so far I haven't tried out because there's not sufficient room in the house and it's too muddy outside to set it up.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I considered buying one when I was looking for games for Georgina and Gwylim, but as I have two dogs decided against it as only one dog at a time can play with it. Instead, I bought 4 other games for them as well as some agility equipment which so far I haven't tried out because there's not sufficient room in the house and it's too muddy outside to set it up.
Up to two dogs can play as there are two different noises, but not at the same time; there's a small button on the bottom of the dog's button, that switches between the two noises. So first you'd have to train each individual dog to its own noise, then tell each dog whose turn it is, changing the noise for each dog. In other words, you can play with two dogs but only under close supervision.
Hope that helps!