Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2015, 12:48 AM
But you openly said it's no life for ANY dog,
And your all writing the OP of, there is no reason why this dog won't settle fine as long as it's exercised,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
My dog had no break and now he isn't shut in he still doesn't have a break, he doesn't get up he won't go out, he lies abd he sleeps, what is the difference between a dog sleeping In a crate during the day and a dog sleeping in one all night ?
Marley how do you know if your dog was ok if you weren't there? Maybe he was miserable.

Maybe he was ok and you were lucky but that doesn't mean all dogs will cope with being caged all day particularly a gundog.
Meg
Supervisor

25-02-2015, 12:53 AM
But you openly said it's no life for ANY dog,
And your all writing the OP of, there is no reason why this dog won't settle fine as long as it's exercised,
Marley the OP asked..

Any suggestions / opinions / advice will be greatly appreciated.
...and that is exactly what people gave and the OP went ahead and did what they wanted anyway...
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

He has never shown any sign of seperation problems,
And if he diddnt live with me he would be put to sleep as he would be classed as dangerous,
I used a web cam left on and he led and he slept now the cage is open he lies and he sleeps,
Look at any working dog either kennelled or tethered, when not working they lie down and wait dogs don't tend to spend hours everyday walking round aimlessly they rest
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

My dog had no break and now he isn't shut in he still doesn't have a break, he doesn't get up he won't go out, he lies abd he sleeps, what is the difference between a dog sleeping In a crate during the day and a dog sleeping in one all night ?
Marley , I'm sure your dog is happy but not every dog is , dogs do sleep a lot when older but if they sleep all day and all night thats a lot of hours of sleep.
I'm sure you make up for it with good walks and attention as other dedicated owners do but many full time workers find it too much having to walk early in the morning and at night when they are tired from working and also some have children too.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Yes but you can't write it off as no way for any dog to live
If people don't have time to exercise play train ect when they are home then they should have a dog but having a full time dog is not a reason to rule it out
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2015, 12:59 AM
Isn't everybody up late tonight lol. And guess what, my dog is fast asleep on my bed.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
My post seems to have disappeared, perhaps while the thread was being moved. I said I found it surprising the shelter were releasing the dog after only having it a few days and knowing little about it's temperament. Also the new owner needs to spend more time getting to know the dog so to ascertain it's needs.
That is worrying. I think in the US there are so many, many dogs needing homes and not all the shelters are equipped to deal with home checking or assessing dogs to match the right home.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Isn't everybody up late tonight lol. And guess what, my dog is fast asleep on my bed.
My dogs went to bed hours ago !
Meg
Supervisor

25-02-2015, 01:03 AM
He has never shown any sign of seperation problems,
And if he diddnt live with me he would be put to sleep as he would be classed as dangerous,
I used a web cam left on and he led and he slept now the cage is open he lies and he sleeps,
Look at any working dog either kennelled or tethered, when not working they lie down and wait dogs don't tend to spend hours everyday walking round aimlessly they rest
Yes but you can't write it off as no way for any dog to live
Oh yes I can that is is my opinion.

There was a programme on TV recently featuring research by Dr Emily Blackwell Lecturer in Canine Behaviour and Welfare at Bristol University and others into 'separation related behaviour’ and it was really dreadful to see how many dogs are affected without the knowledge of their owners...

https://behaviourvet.wordpress.com/t...ily-blackwell/

http://vetbehaviour.info/dogs/separa...ehaviours.html

Separation related behaviours

Separation related behaviours (SRBs) are behaviours shown by dogs when they are left at home by their owners. The most commonly reported SRBs are destruction, toileting, barking or howling. These are behaviours that owners may be aware of because they either see the evidence when they get home, or neighbours tell them if their dog has been making a noise. However, research suggests that many other dogs may be worried about being home alone – but they are a hidden welfare issue because their owners have no idea of the problem. This may be because there are no close neighbours to hear any barking or howling. More often, it is because they show more subtle signs of anxiety which, by the nature of the problem, owners are not there to see.
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »