View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Is it "normal" for a neutered dog to hump another dog?

Dexter is 2 now and was neutered by his first owner.

He has one particular friend at the park that he loves playing with, a male Lurcher named Toby. The last few times they've played together I've noticed Dexter has been a bit rougher than he is with other dogs and today I saw him trying to hump Toby. He also now keeps putting his head over Toby's back/neck.

Is this a 'dominance' thing? Is the humping just part of this rough play?

Just to add: Toby is a real livewire and also tends to play quite hard.

Many thanks for any feedback
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes neutered dogs will still hump and also mated and tie with a bitch.

The head over the back is considered a sign that dog is trying to show dominance as is humping.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Not all 'humping' is sexually motivated hence it makes no difference if the dog has been neutered or not. I've had neutered males tie with inseason bitches!!
It can be a displacement activity (one of my poodle boys does this when he gets very over excited and doesn't know what else to do!) As long as the behaviour isn't obsessive and causing problems I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Becky
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Humping is an expression of over stimulation in dogs of either sex entire or not.

The T shape of two dogs needs to be watched.............
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Humping is an expression of over stimulation in dogs of either sex entire or not.

The T shape of two dogs needs to be watched.............
This can also be a sign of undescended testicles unless you know for absolute certainty the dog has been neutered. I had a rescue foster that i was told had been neutered but he had an unhealthy interest in other males and kept trying to mount them, it turned out he had undescended testicles.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
a bilateral cryptorchid then.................
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
This can also be a sign of undescended testicles unless you know for absolute certainty the dog has been neutered. I had a rescue foster that i was told had been neutered but he had an unhealthy interest in other males and kept trying to mount them, it turned out he had undescended testicles.

Thank you so much, you have touched upon the very thing I have been slightly worried about - I think I'd better address it in a separate thread, thanks so much

THANKS to all who responded, very helpful
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Kiki can hump other dogs when a bit overexcited and it's definatley not undescended testicles in her case Humping isn't always sexual
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Cherry (female) humps toys sometimes

Jamie does tease her by attacking her with the toy or a cushion we have shaped like a sheep and she will hump it to show it who's boss I presume! (then I sort Jamie out for being naughty to Cherry )
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post

This has me worried as my Jessie(female BC)loves to hump my Cavalier, Roodee(entire male)I wonder if Jessie has undescended testicles despite having been spayed last November

Humping is not a "sign"of dominance, to most dogs it is "enjoyable" & pleasurable, it can be seen in very young puppies of both sexes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >