Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Beverly Stayart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Proliferation of books about dogs

In visiting my local libraries, I have noticed that books about dogs seem to be increasing. I don't mean dog breed books, but biographical books about dogs and their guardians. These books are not always written by seasoned authors. Many have been written by relative unknowns who have a story to tell about a special dog. (Of course, all dogs are special!) But something prompted the author, in every case, to write an entire book about a very special dog. I think this speaks volumes about our relationship with dogs and how much they mean to us. There are also many books on the same theme about horses and a wide variety of other animals. These books are also of great interest because they show how important animals are in our lives. But there is something about our relationship with dogs that is causing an explosion of books about their unique status in our lives.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I think it`s got more to do with the (financial) success of Marley and Me, TBH. There were an awful lot of Da Nici Code lookalikes following that one, but it didn`t herald a new interest in arcane religious matters!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-08-2009, 05:01 PM
There used to be an author of a book about dogs right here on Dogsey (But she hasn't been on for nearly two years) As mentioned publishers are hyper sensitive to financial success (or failure) and quick to spot a trend! Still it's nice to have a choice isn't it?
Beverly Stayart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2009, 02:27 PM
"Marley and Me" may be a part of this trend rather than a trend setter, as it was released in 2008. When I said recently, I meant within the past five years. I noticed a strong proliferation of dog books before Marley and Me was released in 2008. To provide some perspective, in the late 1990s, I read Caroline Knapp's "Pack of Two: The Intimate Bond Between People and Dogs." I don't remember there being a lot of similar books back then. But I have noticed in the past five years a growing number of books picking up on this theme. I realize the biggest incentive for the publishers is what will sell, but you don't see a lot of books about the intimate bond between people and their cats, for instance. "Pack of Two" is one of my favorite books which I recommend to everyone. It's hard to say exactly when or how this trend actually started.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Marley and Me was actually published in 2005. I remember because I read it a year later in 06.
Beverly Stayart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2009, 02:37 PM
It is hard to say exactly how or when this trend started, but I don't think you can trace it to one particular book or movie.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Grogen is an established writer along with Ted Kerosote that wrote Merle's Door. What I don't like about such books is that the author is a writer, not a dog expert. Marley is just entertaining, but Merle goes on to give what I find very questionable advice.