Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Coat for a 4month Springer spaniel pup

My pup was shivering a little today after walking through long wet grass etc and it got me thinking does he need a coat or given the muck that these dogs like will he be okay.

Stupid question number two, when dogs shiver i am assuming it is like us shivering and we would put a coat on, but wonder if this will do them harm (ie get a chill in their bones etc like we would).

Basically do other springer owners put their dogs in coats, or just as puppies etc, or even given the above and the fact we could have a cold winter outside, but a toasty house inside, will this make the pup poorly!
karenneilson880
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi

I have a 17 month old springer who has a very short coat. I have never put coat on her and she has been through lots of muddy puddles an in fact was in the sea yesterday (silly girl). She has never suffered any ill effects and usually warms herself up with all the running around she does. I do however make sure that I dry her off and do not leave her wet and cold.

The only real advantage I can think of for a coat would be that it may stop ypur pup from getting so dirty.

Enjoy and don't worry they are great dogs and quite hardy.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Iv got a 7month old BC and he doesnt have a coat. When we go walking, if he gets wet we get home and he is wrapped in a nice warm towel, as is Flint [2yr old BC] and they never seem to mind
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by karenneilson880 View Post
Hi

I have a 17 month old springer who has a very short coat. I have never put coat on her and she has been through lots of muddy puddles an in fact was in the sea yesterday (silly girl). She has never suffered any ill effects and usually warms herself up with all the running around she does. I do however make sure that I dry her off and do not leave her wet and cold.

The only real advantage I can think of for a coat would be that it may stop ypur pup from getting so dirty.

Enjoy and don't worry they are great dogs and quite hardy.
Thank you, just he looked so wretched wet and dirty but he seemed to have had great fun!, but then so many springer pics are of when they are covered in water and mud, just worry cos he is so young! When we got back in the car, he was in the footwell with my husband and we put the heater blower to the floor so by the time we had driven home he was well on the way to being dry. If we have our bigger car with us he goes in his crate in the back which has a thick fleecy dog blanket in.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
my springer would not be happy with a coat, my lurcher yes but not my springer or border, nature gave both of them a coat that cannot be bettered.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Toby had a coat when he was little, which he wore in the snow and rain. Now he is bigger I tend to dry him as best I can and put the coat on after his walk as he seems to cool off quickly once he stops running around and his fur is quite thin.
lwatson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi there, not silly questions at all.

I personally have never put a coat on my ESS's as they are hardly ever walked on the pavement and always in a field or hedge somewhere and I think it might get caught. The only thing I do when ours come back wet in cold weather (which is 99% of the time, blimin mud and water magnets) is roughly dry them with a towel.

Dogs do tend to shiver sometimes when they get wet or cold.
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
My whippet needs a coat as he does not have an undercoat, but your springer should be fine as he has a coat. If he gets wet just towel him dry which I assume he will love. My old cross breed always went into the sea every day up until she was 16 years, bless her.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Our lab x Springer has a coat - we find it on the field - he takes it off himself - he hates it so we've given up, plus he has springer fur that just looks like a lab so his fur and ears go all crinkley and it's cute...he'll be alright, it'll build his immune system up - just make sure when you get in to dry him off and keep him warm so he doesnt get cold
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I have a coat for Etta and I have used it when it rains heavily. I bought one which has a chest flap and bits to keep it on her back legs and so far it has worked well. I intended getting her an equifleece this winter as well.

I'd get him one if he is cold. You might not need it much but it'll be there for emergencies. I'd get a cheap one till he is grown and then a better one.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >