View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Any advice on keeping a mad cocker calm on restrictive exercise?

Eds has an infected paw, (no biggey - I hope), but I have to give him antibiotics, pain killers and steriods and also a 2nd trip to the vet on Saturday to check its sorted) plus he has a buster collar .

Well he is on restictive exercise so he has gone from his minimum two hours a day walk to twice round the garden on the lead. I have cut down his food, but obviously this is not gonna make that much difference!

Any ideas what I can do in the meantime to slow him down? Me I am reaching for the wine bottle (as I type).
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 07:13 PM
How about one of these....

Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Well that would it, he's quieter today guess he must be resigned to it... I am hoping he is not in too much pain, he does let me apply the cream without too much fuss. Naturally he was fine taking anti-biotics and painkillers as they were wrapped in Chicken!! Poor Eds, hes just so bored...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I would say try to tire him out mentally, is he clicker trained? If not, get yourself a clicker and get teaching him some low activity tricks, such as balancing a treat on his nose until you tell him he can throw it up and catch it (this requires lots of concentration and restraint if they're food orientated!), "speak" and "quiet", play dead, guess which hand you're holding a treat in by patting it with his paw (his good one, if it's a frotn paw he's hurt), etc. - mental stimulation can be as tiring, if not more, than physical.
If you can monitor him at dinner time, perhaps give all his food in a Kong to keep him busy too?
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Thats a really good idea, I have been thinking about some clicker training, thanks Carly, its his front paw one of the toes is really swollen, hes got another appointment at the Vets on Saturday, so will have to see what they say .... (sigh) I am missing our walks (which involve long drives out in the country) as much he is!!)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Lots of "Interactive"dog toys that make your dog use his brain here as well as using the clicker
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Ooh thanks Joedee they look really good, have bought him a nice big juicy bone, and am going to order one of the toys - thanks!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:47 PM
How's Eddie's paw today? Is he coming out to play on Sunday?
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Its doubtful I am afraid, the wound looks on the mend though - much dryer and not red, but I think I will have keep in away from mud etc for a while longer he's finishing his antibiotics on Monday so will have a good idea then, I was supposed to take him to the vet tomorrow, but I think I will wait until Monday until the anti-bs have finished their course as he seems fine in himself, hasn't slowed down a bit - been zooming round the house all day wanting to play every 5 mins... all in all a nightmare!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Poor little chap!! Give him a hug from me. xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >