Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Split thread - debate about rescues/rabbits

Awwww he is absolutely gorgeous! But please - before you make the decision to breed, please please please read this message from someone at a rabbit rescue centre - she posted this on a thread on rabbit rehome today, in response to someone who wanted to start breeding. Please understand that whilst it would be a lovely experience, there are serious problems with rabbit overpopulation out there! This particular rescue I'm quoting from is in Berkshire but I talk to people working in rescues all over the UK and the problems are the same all over. By deliberately breeding from your bunnies, you are denying rabbits which are already in existence the chance of a home with those owners (even if you're planning on keeping them)

Hello, I see you are in Berkshire. I am Lorna from Green Fields Rescue and I would urge you PLEASE not to add to our problems here at Green Fields and at other local rescues, by breeding. The numbers of rabbits looking for homes in this area is totally unmanageable and I am not overstating things when I say that the numbers of unwanted rabbits in this area is reaching utterly epidemic proportions. We are at the stage here where the waiting list of rabbits to come in here is so long that I am only able to take the most urgent cases. However, this means that because the rescues are saturated and people dont have the option to access rescues when they need to, that we are finding that there is a huge increase in the numbers of really urgent cases we have to take right away such as rabbits who have been dumped at vets surgeries, found running loose, strays, pregnant females that are at risk, that kind of thing as people get more and more desperate.

The underlying problem is both over "production" of rabbits and very very poor education at the point of obtaining the rabbits and we are working as hard as we possibly can to address both of these problems behind the scenes. Thank goodness there are forums like this one where people can come and ask questions just as you have.

We have several breeders in this area already making our lives miserable with the numbers they are producing and with one in particular, we hear that people go there not really aware of what they are going to, you know, they just see the breeder as an alternative to the local pet shop, and when they get there, they feel so sorry for the rabbits because of the conditions they are kept in that they end up taking whole litters away and then phoning us and asking us to take them when they realise in the cold light of day that they cannot keep them all!! Breeders always say they cant see how they are impacting on rescues and yet we have many here that have gone from breeder to rescue in less than a week!!!

We also have 2 branches of Pets at Home and a Notcutts and a Wyevales also churning out rabbits with, it seems, almost no effort to correctly sex them.

There is also 4 or 5 childrens "petting zoos" locally who will impulse sell both rabbits and guinea pigs on the spot to anyone who asks for them and at one point they had so many they were actually giving them away free.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what the situation is LOCALLY TO YOU.

This that I am SOOO pleased to see so many people on this forum supporting rescues by urging you not to go ahead and I can only wholeheartedly agree with everything that has been said so far.

If you would like to contact us or come and visit us during our opening hours perhaps we can talk some more about how best for you to proceed.
Link to original thread is here: [Mod edit: URL removed: We don't allow links to other forums]

I'm really sorry, I agree it would be a lovely experience, but there are already serious problems out there and by doing this, you would only be adding to them
jrn1310
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I totally agree with what Fluffy bunny has written, I am involved with a small animal rescue based in Twickenham, the numbers of animals we have been asked to rehome this year has rocketed out of all proportion. Many people believe that you can only get old grumpy bunnies from rescues that no one will want. Far from the truth, so far this year we have taken in almost 200 rabbits, the majority of these being youngsters under the age of 10 weeks when their owners who thought it would be lovely to have cute babies suddenly discover that trying to rehome them is far more difficult than they expected. When the reality of the cost of keeping these 'planned babies' becomes apparent many people hand them over to rescues to find homes for them. This is happening with all rescues not just us, country wide.

If you wish to have the experience of babies I would suggest, rather than adding to the problem of adding more babies to the numbers already looking for homes, it would be better for you to approach a rescue where you will be able to help out and also see the developement of babies without adding to the problem. The majority of larger rescues will welcome help.

Janice
jrn1310
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2005, 09:04 AM
RSPCA Cheltenham & East Gloucestershire
Alleyne Lodge, Knapp Rd, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3QH
Tel: 01242 521958 / Website /

Cheltenham Animal Shelter
Gardeners Lane, Swindon Road, Cheltenham, CL51 9JW
Tel: 01242 523521 / Website /

RSPCA Glos City & District Animal Welfare Centre
61 Horton Road, Gloucester, Glos, GL1 3PX
Tel: 01452 412180 between 2:00-4:30pm weekdays / Website /

AJ's Rabbit and Guinea Pig Rescue
Windy Whistle Cottage, Crowgate Lane, Chaxhill, Gloucestershire, GL14 1QT
Tel: 01452 760404 /

These are all the rescues that I know of which are in Gloucestershire. Just to highlight how big the problem with homeless rabbits is, a rescue in Twickenham has been asked to help social services out in Bristol as most of the rescues between Twickenham and Bristol are full and overflowing including these, there are 50 rabbits requiring emergency accomodation who are all coming out of one house in the next few days.

Janice
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by ellenlouise
I really want to do this and I see no problem when they have homes. The people that want them wouldn't rehome rescue rabbits.
I have to say this makes me really sad. If I really want to kill someone, does that make it ok because it's something I really want to do? It's not quite the same I know, but nevertheless the principle is similar.

Also, I'm genuinely interested to know, why would your family/friends not rehome rescue rabbits yet are happy to have rabbits? Seriously, as someone who helps with rescues it would be useful to know what it is that we are up against, and how we can go about educating people that there is nothing wrong with rescue rabbits - as the other lady has said, they often have litters in, so it's not a case that all rescue rabbits are adults or have problems because they have been mistreated.

In fact, rescue rabbits are often better, as the rabbits have often already been neutered and paired up with a suitable partner. Adult rabbits have already developed their personalities so there are no nasty surprises at puberty either! Of course as already mentioned, many babies are also available if that's what people really want.

I really am genuinely curious to know why they would home rabbits but just not rescue ones so I'd be grateful if you could ask. With this information it might help us to focus what exactly it is that people need educating on.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2005, 03:46 PM
May i ask that when i lost most of my rabbits earlier this year to an incident, and we went to adopt a pair for company for our remaining English doe, why were we refused just because we he had 2 dogs and a cat, even though they were used to rabbits, if the rescue problem is so bad then why do they knock back good, experienced homes?
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Hiya Luke - it's a good question. I only work with rescues and don't rescue myself so I don't really know, but I guess it could be one of a number of things.

Personally I don't know of any rescues who would turn you down just because you *had* other animals, although they may well do if they weren't satisfied that you were able to keep the rabbit safe from harm and in a stress-free environment. Remember that rabbits are prey animals and will generally be extremely stressed out and frightened by the close presence of a dog - particularly if they are sharing a space.

Maybe rescues see animals come in frequently which have been injured/killed by friendly dogs/cats who have never shown aggression before, and therefore know that it's not necessarily in the best interests of the rabbit? And if you weren't able to demonstrate that the rabbits would never come into contact with the dogs in particular, then they weren't able to be 100% confident that the rabbits were going to a safe home?

Is there a possibility that this may have been an excuse and they didn't want to tell you that it was because of the incident/because you have bred rabbits that they didn't want to give them to you?

I don't know, I'm only hypothesising. I guess all I'm trying to say is that the aim of most rabbit rescues is to ensure that the rabbits in their care go to 100% forever homes where they will be happy, safe and secure. It's possible that they didn't feel you were able to demonstrate this and therefore felt that they should refuse you. To give rabbits out to anyone that asks isn't solving the problem, it is just being an additional pair of hands in the conveyorbelt of rabbit homing.

As I say, I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances, but those are the sorts of things going through my head anyway, perhaps Janice might have some other thoughts?
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Personally I wouldn’t breed from my rabbits.
I would advice anyone wanting to breed to go to there local rescue center, see the huge amount of rabbits waiting to go to a good home, see the state of them when they come in, if that doesn’t put you off breeding nothing will.
I volunteered for a rescue center and cared for some of the rabbits they had in there care, the lives they had and the mistreatment of them was upsetting for any rabbit lover. So IMO breeding just adds to this problem.

I will help out anyone wanting to breed and give them advice, as long as they realise I do not advocate it. I will help purely to make sure they are doing it correctly, then not asking for advice and something going wrong.
I can understand litters that happen by mistake and obviously most of the time it isn’t the owners fault as often pet shops have a tendency to mistake the sex of rabbits.

Luke regarding the rescue not permitting you allowance to rescue one of there rabbits. I would think it was due to 2 factors.
Firstly the way the last ones died being killed by the fox, may worry the rescue into thinking 'What if this happens again' they will not allow an animal to go to a home they consider unsafe.
Secondly because you are breeding yourself next year, they will consider why you want a rescue, and I dont think they will be happy about it going to a breeding home as it might not get the attention it needs if you have alot of animals.
I have never found a rescue to turn down someone if they have a loving home to offer, can give the attention and care the rabbit needs. They will alwalys be grateful to anyone willing to offer such a home.

I can understand why some people are stressing the importance of rescue rabbits, and highlighting why anyone would want to breed. It is not a personal dig at anyone, they are simply pointing out facts that you should have considered prior to deciding to breed.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 06:40 PM
He is beautiful.

I would look at another side of the breeding thing. OK - we all know the rescue's story - me as well with the rats etc. However - I wanted to be even more practical and ask you - is the doe you wish to use from a good breeder? do you know her lines? do you have any information on the helath, temperament and longevity of her relatives? If the answer is no - then you shouldn't breed her and it would be very wrong to in my opinion and is certainly not in the best interest of the animals - and a purely selfish act. you wouldn't breed a mongrel or rescue dog would you? Added to that - does the breeder of your buck know you want to breed him? have you asked his permission? i don't know much about the rabbit world, but i know for a fact that if you just bred one litter from a breeder bought rat - then you would be swiftly blacklisted and every breeder warned. it's not that simple really - there is far too much to think of before attempting to breed. I advise you all go look at the thread under debates i started about small furry breeding .

xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Very pretty Bunny, have to agree with Luke here on some of the ridiculous homing policies that some rescues adopt, its no wonder they are full of Rabbits and not just Rabbits either.
Dawn.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
OH I also meant to ask about your potential homes - have you vetted them? do they know what owning rabbits entails? are they willing to take on a pair - because as I understand it these are social animals who need company? and in all honesty - will they REALLY be willing to take the babies on when they're born? they may be saying it's fine now and that they'd love one, but when push comes to shove, will they actually take them on?

xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >