View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Car 'chasing' and another small 'problem'...

I took Arrow out today by himself, I do try to take him out by himself but he is usually out with Jake.

We were walking alongside the road, and after a few minutes he started trying to 'chase' the cars. That's the best way I can describe it, as the cars were coming towards us he was going forward and then running back as they passed. I shortened the lead but he was still doing it with the bit of lead he did have. This is the first time he has done this.

I know this might sound strange, but I wasn't sure if it is the wind that causes him to do it. If you gently blow in his face, he screws his face up and lunges forward... this was the same as with the cars, even the screwing up the face...

It is nothing major just now, and he only did it about 5 or 6 times and not to every car... But, I would like to nip this in the bud before it does become a major problem, so does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this? I was also wondering if it could have anything to do with Jake not being there, he could maybe cause a distraction to Arrow? If I take Arrow out by himself, it is usually to the park where I don't need to walk by the main road, or somewhere in the car...

The other 'problem' I have, is that if I try to fuss Jake, Arrow runs over and shoves Jake out the way. I don't like that at all, and so I will try to block Arrow when he does this, but I wasn't sure the best way to handle it...

And, on the plus side, his resource guarding seems to have stopped...

Thanks for any help
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Do you know if the parents are car chasers?

There is a school of thought that some dogs, in particular BCs which come from lines which are known for doing this, should be kept away from cars for some considerable time until you have developed a relationship which means this is less likely.

In addition it is my view that often it is not the movement, but sometimes the sound AND often that grit and dust get thrown up into their eyes which I think I have posted about before which causes the reaction.

I would be very careful with a BC around wheels and I think I posted before about resource guarding in multiple dog households?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Do you know if the parents are car chasers?

There is a school of thought that some dogs, in particular BCs which come from lines which are known for doing this, should be kept away from cars for some considerable time until you have developed a relationship which means this is less likely.

In addition it is my view that often it is not the movement, but sometimes the sound AND often that grit and dust get thrown up into their eyes which I think I have posted about before which causes the reaction.

I would be very careful with a BC around wheels and I think I posted before about resource guarding in multiple dog households?
Oh, that is interesting. I'm not sure if his parents are car chases... I can ask his breeder though. Why do some people think it runs in some lines? Yeah, I don't think it is the movement either because he ignored some and not others so I think it is most likely the sound and/or the wind from certain cars.

Yes, you did post about the resource guarding but that has stopped now which I am very happy about
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh sorry I thought by your post that Arrow was still continuing to do this as he shoves Jake out of the way?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh sorry I thought by your post that Arrow was still continuing to do this as he shoves Jake out of the way?
Oh, well he does but he isn't nasty about it. It is more attention seeking, I know it can be seen as resource guarding because the human is the 'resource' but I didn't think of it as the same kind of guarding... because he isn't snarly/snappy with it, he just wants to join in on the action and get his fuss too... so not how I think of 'guarding'. I know it may technically be resource guarding, but it is definitely not in the same way as with the food.

Also, sometimes he just wants a fuss, but sometimes he runs off after Jake wanting to play... so at times like that, it is as though Jake is the 'resource'... Hrm...
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2012, 09:04 PM
preydrive?iv got a dogo who will chase everything that moves,including cars ,vehicles,so i battled this for a year to now avail.i had to think outside the box,car chasing was not an option,shes 130 pounds.so i got my wife to drive the car past her as i tossed a balloon out the window,filled with water!it was ment to smash beside her to give a scare,to shake things up,i was desperate.well it worked,but to my surprise,it did not scare her or even shock her at all.for her it was a way to get a drink,somthing to lick up,something new!now she will sit or look to me for water,because all the cars dont give it out the window?i think!anyway it did help and she is fine now,we now involve her in games when the balloons come out,water fights out in the yard...some have called me down for this practice,but i see it as a drastic mesure for a drastic problem...think outside the box if you must!!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Well I have a pushy dog who has the Choirboy Syndrome.

He gets put into a position whilst I fuss the other one.

It is difficult when they are puppies but as you sow, so shall you reap as it were so I would just keep an eye on yourself that you are not falling into the "oh he is just a cute adorable bit of fluff who loves me" before this turns into learned behaviour that can change into bullyling.

Better to learn it NOW than when the old testosterone kicks in.............. JMO
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Will he pay attention to you when he has started to fixate on the car??
you could try a 'wheres my chicken' and give him a treat every time a car comes until hopefully he would assciate cars comming to turning to you to get something nice?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't think I explained the 'shoving away' right. Arrow is smaller than Jake so he jumps on Jake to get closer, because of that Jake will move away. I see it as 'shoving away' but in all honesty, I think Arrow would be more than happy for Jake to stay and for them both to just join in.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 09:29 PM
IME alot of BC will chase moving cars, we had it with Bruce around 6 months old, but I always put him away from the road and did a Ahhhhhhhhh NO he finally got the idea or you could get him focused on a tasty treat which he gets as a reward everytime he ignores a car.
I know BTW its a little thing but if you blow gently on his face and he screws his face and then lunges at you, maybe you should give that up too, someone tried that with Tess when she was younger (older the Arrow) and if I hadn't of been there the speed she went they would of been missing their nose
The 'shoving' Jake out as you put it is natural, he is a baby and therefore wants your attention, you need to train him 'shoving or jumping on Jake is a no no ....get him to sit and treat

BTW he sounds a delight
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >