View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mypupjaz
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi, from Susie and Jaz (question about a new puppy)

Hi there, I have just got my 8wk old Jack Russell Puppy Jaz (Jasemine), she is a real sweetheart. she already does her stuff out in the garden. a few mistakes indoors, but not a lot, from the first day I took her outside and now she knows what to do there. I am so proud of her.
I have to leave her 2 days a week for work, which I have done once already, I know she cries as the neightbour tells me. but she seems ok when I get home.
I don't know what to do with her at night though, as I have been cuddling her to sleep, she is sooooo tiny (2.2lbs) she goes off really quickly but when do i draw the line and make her sleep alone? have i made a rod for my own back?
So glad I found this forum, all you doggy lovers, I feel I might bore my work colleagues to death with my worries.lol
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey

If you need help with posting pictures, or with anything on Dogsey, please >Click Here<
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey

Where does your pup sleep, with you or by herself?
I would possibly have her bed or crate in your room and put her in it at bed time rather than cuddling her to sleep every night!
With regards to leaving her alone how long do you leave her for and could you possibly come home at lunchtime and play with her or get someone else to?

She is still very young so she will whine and cry when she is left.

Well done with toilet training sounds like you are doing a good job
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey

If you get her a large soft crate, with a top opening, you can put her in there by your bed at night and reach down and comfort her in the night without ending up with her sleeping with you for comfort.
There are lots available, like this one... Just google 'soft crate'. Or look in Pets at home or the Range.

You can then also use the crate to leave her in during the day. She can have treats and toys in there and she's more likely to settle down and sleep in the smaller crate than in the huge scary house!

When they're little they only sleep for 2 - 3 hrs, then are awake for 4 - 5, then sleep again... She'll have no time sense so, gone for one hour is like gone for a lifetime to her!. If you always think she can sleep for 3 hrs, then maybe occupy herself and play for maybe an hour, you can only leave her for a maximum of 4 hrs at a time... So see if you can break up your day to make sure you come back and play with her for an hour at lunch, that will help her too. Or if your neighbours are at home, perhaps one of them could pop in n her in the day?

Good luck with your new pup and don't forget pictures
mypupjaz
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2009, 01:22 PM
i put her in a bed by the side of ours, she sleeps for a while, then wakes up, so we go outside for a pee, this happens about 4 times a night. but when we come back she won't always settle down and wanders the room, i don't want her loose in the bedroom, and my stupid mentality and possible selfishness, i let her sleep on our bed and she goes off immediately and for a lot longer. but I know its wrong. and she needs to be out of the bedroom.