Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:24 PM

weird question about dog dreaming....

I often hear my dog whining during sleep - at least once a day/night. I know dogs dream. I rescued her from a shelter 2 years ago - Im not sure if she was abused before then - she would have only been a few months old.

Would she remember life in or before the shelter???

Im only asking because these whines are horrible. I will wake her because I feel bad... is that ok to do??? Do dogs ever make happy noises during sleep??? (maybe this is just normal too)

THANKS
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Not sure really... Eddy does a little yap in his sleep (clearly he's a terrier in his dreams!) and Takara grumbles

Eddy only ever yaps when he's chasing something in his dreams too his toes go mad!

Edit: Sorry, my point was going to be - Eddy doesn't sound at all happy... wouldn't say he sounded like he was in pain or particularly upset but he doesn't sound happy.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
My dogs tend to have hunting dreams - they look hugely exciting - all the legs go as well! And once I woke up to find my GSD sound asleep, sucking my fingers.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Both my dogs yap, twiddle their toes, run, smile, open their eyes and roll them and suckle during their sleep.

There is probably a human forum somewhere, where they are telling everyone what I do!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I have occasionally woken one or another of mine when they sounded very distressed, & they have stared around for a moment, given a sigh & settled back to sleep, so I think its ok to wake them as long as its not too often, as they probably need rem sleep & deep sleep the same as we do.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I never saw my rescue girl dream for the first year of having her. After that she had some real whiney dreams, but before long she was having a whine that developed into a barking dream ( though muffled) and her feet were going nineteen to the dozen. I presumed she was giving voice whilst chasing rabbits I let her be then and I let her be now. She seems like a happy enough doggy in her waking hours
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
My Sal dreams and she's never had a moments "disharmony in her life" so I figure its just a dream of some sort....she is happy enough......and very occasioaly in a dream she wags her tail once or twice....not often though.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I think Jobie goes back to the track in his sleep Lot's of wuffing and toe wiggling and eye rolling. He sounds quite content though.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 01:14 PM
My lot do a bit of hunting too I think, The only dog that seemed diff was a rescue bullmastiff I had, I kinda looked like he was eating in his dreams, he lived for food though. running round like a headless chick after a rabbit defo wasnt his idea of fun, lol
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2008, 01:17 PM
The TZBCs appear to go hunting in their sleep, with muffled barks, toe-twitching and tail-wagging. I've never noticed any signs of distress, but then, the only distressing thing they ever experience is me shouting at them when they misbehave!

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >