Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by TalentedMrRiply View Post
What you do need is a complete and undivided love of cats and dogs. You must also be willing to give up your free time and totally devote your life to running your business.

Things will change in 10 years regarding kennels, legislation will much much stricter and qualifications for both owners and staff will also hopefully be in force. You won't be building a new one though as it's near on impossible now to get planning for a new business.

As you will probably gather, I currently own and run a small family kennels and I absolutely love what I do but be warned it's incredibly hard work but also immensely rewarding.

Please ask away if you ave any questions as I'm always as helpful as I can be.

But you dont "need" any qualifications or experience to run a boarding kennels. I have been managing one for 15yrs, some of the muppets that run them shouldnt own their own dogs let alone care for other peoples!

Things need to get stricter.
TalentedMrRiply
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But you dont "need" any qualifications or experience to run a boarding kennels. I have been managing one for 15yrs, some of the muppets that run them shouldnt own their own dogs let alone care for other peoples!

Things need to get stricter.
I know you don't need qualifications and I completely agree with your statement about muppets running them but then I have encountered many so called experts in the dog industry (breeders) who also run boarding kennels and some of them absolutely disgust me.

Legislation would be a start and perhaps licencing by a respected body ie RSPCA rather than local councils?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by TalentedMrRiply View Post
I know you don't need qualifications and I completely agree with your statement about muppets running them but then I have encountered many so called experts in the dog industry (breeders) who also run boarding kennels and some of them absolutely disgust me.

Legislation would be a start and perhaps licencing by a respected body ie RSPCA rather than local councils?
Yes legislation would help, but not the RSPCA, they are the biggest muppets of them all! Take a trip round some of their rehoming kennels, you'll see what I mean. If they were boarding in my area they would be refused a lisence.
TalentedMrRiply
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes legislation would help, but not the RSPCA, they are the biggest muppets of them all! Take a trip round some of their rehoming kennels, you'll see what I mean. If they were boarding in my area they would be refused a lisence.

That is probably true for some and I for one wish that it wasn't the case.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi MistyBlue I've got a copy of a boarding establishment license application from my kennel & cattery lessons i could scan in for you if you like. Sure it'll be out of date and it's not the right area (unless you open it in Tonbridge & Malling ), but it might give you an idea of the current minimum standard, as low as it is . The Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 might be worth giving a google as well. I'd like to open my own kennels one day too, hee
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I used to work in a cattery and had no qualifications to do so... but loved the job and as we had rescue cats from CPL it was very rewarding.... even though with some you needed a cast iron stomach Jimmi the Persian was the messiest cat I have ever known
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
One thing I do know is, you have to have a property in the middle of nowhere because of the noise element! When you put in a planning application you don't want anyone living within hearing distance would might kick up a stink, so the main criteria is to find one that's already up and running and buy that, or find a property miles from anywhere. That applies down here in the South East anyway coz we were looking a few years back but it never happened.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You also need planning permission for your council to have the kennels constructed.
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
One thing I do know is, you have to have a property in the middle of nowhere because of the noise element! When you put in a planning application you don't want anyone living within hearing distance would might kick up a stink, so the main criteria is to find one that's already up and running and buy that, or find a property miles from anywhere. That applies down here in the South East anyway coz we were looking a few years back but it never happened.
Your both right...my friend owns her own cattery, she did want a kennels too, but she isn't far enought away from neighbours regards noise.

As for her cattery she had to get planning permission and every part that was completed had to be inspected before passed and they could move on. She had to get permission from the council too, just to open one and they did have to see if neighbours objected.

It was a long drawn out procedure
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2