Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Hmmm,what would I do?

..just been thinking (painfull) lol...

untill a year ago i didnt live alone,and have always had sibes (and a couple of sibe x's)and bc's ...non guarding breeds..but now i have Tupac...what would i do if something happened to me i would of had no problem whatsoever giving someone my keys and letting them let themselves in...i wouldnt like to do that now....so what would i do?????
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Sorry for ignorance but why has this changed with Tupac being with you, are folk afraid of him?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Having a bite trained dog and knowing of other owners with similar issues I approached my dog section of the local police.

they were useless, I was asked if the vet would do it (explained outside his remit), asked if dog warden would (explained they only worked 9 - 5 weekdays) and neither would have the experience.

I was rushed into hospital from work last November followed up by another visit, fortunately his breeder drove the two hours to me to pick him and the other one up.

So my advice would be consider who has the relevant experience and in an emergency try YOUR dog section, hopefully it is better than mine!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
This is something I'm kind of worrying about - if OH and I move then there won't be family nearby for emergencies. Even something like me not being able to get back for lunch (if OH has a rare full day) is something I'm having to think about since my two are quite protective - I think that I will be trying to find some local Dogsey friends and also a top notch walker who would be happy with coming around several times before walking the dogs and getting to know them - then a few safety procedures such as shutting the dogs behind babygates so they can't rush straight up to the front door and would see that it's the dog walker. My two aren't great at greeting people immediately at the door so I've been employing the babygate system already and it makes a huge difference. Training them to be better with people entering the house is definately something I'm aware I need to do, just need to find some stooges (using people they know doesn't work as they react differently)
Probably a little more difficult to plan for unexpected accidents but if the house layout allows for babygates then that's something to consider, even if you could get a neighbour to pop in and chuck food in through the gates (and maybe keep the water bowl within easy reach?) in an emergency situation. I'm certainly prioritising the need for an entrance hall when we buy as I want to be able to keep gates up permanently.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Sorry for ignorance but why has this changed with Tupac being with you, are folk afraid of him?
...erm ..they would be entering my house if i wasnt there
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Having a bite trained dog and knowing of other owners with similar issues I approached my dog section of the local police.

they were useless, I was asked if the vet would do it (explained outside his remit), asked if dog warden would (explained they only worked 9 - 5 weekdays) and neither would have the experience.

I was rushed into hospital from work last November followed up by another visit, fortunately his breeder drove the two hours to me to pick him and the other one up.

So my advice would be consider who has the relevant experience and in an emergency try YOUR dog section, hopefully it is better than mine!
yes..there is only two people that Tupac could possibly be ok with
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
This is something I'm kind of worrying about - if OH and I move then there won't be family nearby for emergencies. Even something like me not being able to get back for lunch (if OH has a rare full day) is something I'm having to think about since my two are quite protective - I think that I will be trying to find some local Dogsey friends and also a top notch walker who would be happy with coming around several times before walking the dogs and getting to know them - then a few safety procedures such as shutting the dogs behind babygates so they can't rush straight up to the front door and would see that it's the dog walker. My two aren't great at greeting people immediately at the door so I've been employing the babygate system already and it makes a huge difference. Training them to be better with people entering the house is definately something I'm aware I need to do, just need to find some stooges (using people they know doesn't work as they react differently)
Probably a little more difficult to plan for unexpected accidents but if the house layout allows for babygates then that's something to consider, even if you could get a neighbour to pop in and chuck food in through the gates (and maybe keep the water bowl within easy reach?) in an emergency situation. I'm certainly prioritising the need for an entrance hall when we buy as I want to be able to keep gates up permanently.
i have a dog gate...that would not stop a csv launching over it to do 'his job'.. i do think other breeds would be slightly easier to 'train' for this situation
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Your local schutzhund club could probably help?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i have a dog gate...that would not stop a csv launching over it to do 'his job'.. i do think other breeds would be slightly easier to 'train' for this situation
A tall gate doesn't stop Kiki either so I have two stacked on top of each other. Leaves about 4" at the top of the gate which she couldn't fit through, problem solved. You can buy screw-in ones that will probably withstand a dog launching at it if he used a lot of strength, but lots of pressure ones will come with screw-in holders that stop the gates being nudged out of the doorway too (one of mine has them)
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Am sorry if this is not much help but can only say what have in place here for if anything happens(n is terrier x so maybe not the same )Neighbour n friends are familiar, know n are happy with my dog. They have keys to the house and dog insurance covers emergency kenneling fees should an unfortunate situation arise. If i was nearer n knew Tupac n your other dogs well would always look after them as best as could or follow your wishes regarding their care. I hope you have friends,family or work mates that can help n you are ok
ps I would never assume that you'd trust me with your dogs at all but hope you can find a way to manage whatever situation may come across(hopefully never needed)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Here we go. Bottom is a Lindam gate and top one was just a cheap Mamas and Papas one from Argos, £16.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
My Friend has a trained protection dog she is working a couple of days a week now and has asked me to pop in and let them out and possibly walk them.

I walk with the dogs and her most days so they know me well and I go in for cups of tea.
I haven't been in on my own yet but am hoping all will be okay.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >