Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 09:34 PM

Cracked Heels

Never had this before, don't know if it's my age or bad diet, but I have it on both heels all of a sudden. After sitting for a time today I got up to let the dogs out and felt them both split open again. I found some special cream in Tesco's (Scholl) but I can't do the worst affected bits as you can't use it where it is bleeding so out with the Germolene for that.
It's miserable and totally out of proportion to it's seriousness (which is not at all, I know). I remember my mother used to suffer, maybe it's hereditary.......
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Have you ever seen a chiropodist Gill ? I haven't but my MIL swears by them and suffers terribly with cracked heels.

I think Scholl shops have them on an appontment system - worth a visit.

Psoriasis is another cause for this..

p.s love the smell of germolene
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 10:12 PM
When my eczema was really bad last year, I got really terrible cracked heels, having never had this problem before.. I treated them with steroid cream but was also having phototherapy which probably helped too.. i'd try and get some sun on them and keep religiously moisturising them. You can get some steroid creams over the counter now.. may be worth a try..

hope they get better soon - it's pretty painful!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I also have this, ive feet like a cavewoman running round on rocks all day, huge crackes in them just something i suffer from, never thought why.xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Could it be down to moisture? Perhaps try something like E45 or Aqueous cream?
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I had terrible cracked heels last year, they were so sore, I got some great stuff from the chemist, cant remember for the life of me what its called but I remember it had a pic of australia on it, it was fantastic, they were healed within days
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 05:52 AM
It's definitely down to a lack of moisture. In the summer, sandals come out, and our feet sweat less as they're not enclosed so much.

The very best thing - and the cheapest - is good old fashioned Vaseline.

Smother your heels in Vaseline before you get into bed, put on a pair of old socks, and in the morning they will have improved.

Keep this up, and you'll have beautiful heels in no time...

BTW, I'm speaking from experience
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 06:00 AM
I think Scholl shops have them on an appontment system - worth a visit.
I don't think we have them in Ireland... Scholl shops that is. And I doubt whether chiropodists accept medical card patients, but I can always find out, thanks.
When my eczema was really bad last year, I got really terrible cracked heels, having never had this problem before.. I treated them with steroid cream but was also having phototherapy which probably helped too.. i'd try and get some sun on them and keep religiously moisturising them. You can get some steroid creams over the counter now.. may be worth a try..
Aha! I have eczema on my hands and feet for the first time in my life, the GP prescribed me steroid cream which stings like hell on the eczema but I have a huge tube of it so might extend it to the heels, and try sunbathing upside down!
I remember it had a pic of australia on it
Right! I love mysteries! I might get some funny looks in the pharmacy though!
The very best thing - and the cheapest - is good old fashioned Vaseline.
I always have that in the house it has a million applications, so that's another thing I could try...

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 06:30 AM
The Scholl cream does work but you have to keep using it for a while. Not sure what to say about the beelding parts though.Good luck with them anyway.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks I may revert to Vaselene, I remember using it on horses' cracked heels some years ago.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >