Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2007, 11:01 PM

Food Stealing

Alfie is getting rediculous with his food stealing. It's daily, and as he's getting bigger it's impossible to keep things out of the way. I asked about this on another forum, and was told it was unfair to have things sitting on the side, so we try and push things as far back as possible but he's still getting them. He's even getting things of the large dining room table.

Any ideas? We set up a trap, with plates and several cans and bottles that would make a big noise when he knocked it, but he just jumped up very carefully, sniffed it and walked off. He's smashed several plates just to get to the food, but it doesn't phase him and I'm scared he'll hurt himself.

Any help?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Its very difficult. If he doesn't steal while your in the room, I'd say try & not let him in a room with food in unless you are there. I had a friend who had to padlock the fridge when he went out because his dog learnt to open the door & steal all the contents.
I've had a bitch burn her paws trying to steal food from the top of the stove when the oven was on & she still tried again it didn't stop her. I managed with a lot of hard work to stop her stealing while I ws actually in the room with her but I could never trust her if left alone.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Generally dogs are scavengers and very few will not try to grab the odd snack in their lives. My usually very well behaved girl grabbed a sausage roll and a piece of chocolate log last Xmas

I berate myself rather than her. Practically, what i do is to use childgates for the kitchen, and am also tidy in there anyway (which is good housekeeping ).

I don't usually leave her with tempting things in the room - if we are there it's different as she doesn't take anything. She rarely if ever does take anything as she doesn't have the opportunity and I will control her by voice if needed.

In the kitchen she has been rewarded for sitting on her mat, so if we are doing tempting things like cutting up chicken, she knows she stands more chance of getting some if she sits nicely - good training but takes a little while

Telling dogs off means that usually they will stop taking something whilst you are there, but not when you are not there. I never bother - just use management, enjoy understanding dogs scavenge and relax over it pretty much
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:42 PM
The problem is though, it's not just a bit of food or something tempting, it's EVERYTHING. He broke the vinegar bottle because he carried that around, and today he even got a KNIFE which was in the knife rack thing pushed right against the wall. It's so dangerous and I'm scared he'll hurt himself.

The kitchen has no door and I doubt my parents will be willing to use a baby gate The mat thing might be worth a go though, thanks
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
The problem is though, it's not just a bit of food or something tempting, it's EVERYTHING. He broke the vinegar bottle because he carried that around, and today he even got a KNIFE which was in the knife rack thing pushed right against the wall. It's so dangerous and I'm scared he'll hurt himself.

The kitchen has no door and I doubt my parents will be willing to use a baby gate The mat thing might be worth a go though, thanks

Gosh yes that is dangerous! Why will your parents not use a childgate? Many many dog owners do - we don't have children but have 2 gates purely for simplicity and ease of living with our dog. For example if the doorbell goes, she runs to it and barks, I say "in the other room" with a hand signal and she runs in there, then for both the safety of her and of the person at the door I shut the childgate. It gves her no responsibility and keeps everyone safe and sound :smt001

Honestly, a childgate would solve the problems unless he learnt to jump it

The more he gets things the more he will be self rewarded, even just the once he will remember, 10 times and well, you can imagine how he thinks after that...

I'd perhaps be looking at what reward he thinks he is getting for this. Is it also attention, even by causing a ruckus? (sp?).

Does he have things to grab such as his own special toys?

If it's bad I'd consider getting a trainer in to give some advice in your own environment ... Try www.apdt.co.uk for one near you.

Wys
x
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 03:13 PM
We're at a great trainign class, and they advised stacking a load of tins and things on a plate and letting him knock that over, when we're not in the room, but he just jumped up very carefully, gave it a sniff and left it

That's a point, he may well jump a baby gate. I'll mention it anyway, but I really thing they would say no. My dad is a property developer so he's really funny about what his house is like and what is it

We just did a bit of practise of leaving things, so at least now he knows not to touch a plate while I'm in the room and I treat him when he lies down rather than stealing!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post

We just did a bit of practise of leaving things, so at least now he knows not to touch a plate while I'm in the room and I treat him when he lies down rather than stealing!

Excellent - well keep that up and you won't need a childgate anyway

Wys
x