Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Been ages... and question about stud

Hi all

sorry its been a while i have been so busy have not been online for ages!

The site looks fabulous! really excited about it its great!

question - mum wants me to stud her yorkie once before we get him done, how do i go about doing this?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by buster
Hi all

question - mum wants me to stud her yorkie once before we get him done, how do i go about doing this?
Here is something from a Dogweb article to think about before you consider using a dog at stud. The quote is from this article: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/dog-articles.php?t=12589

"Ben has a lot to offer as a stud dog and it would be good for him to mate" -Has he? Would it?

What does he have to offer that is so special that it cannot be found in any of the top stud dogs of his breed? The owners of good bitches can pick and choose the best stud for their bitches from among the cream of the studs anywhere in the country. When they can select from sires that have proven their ability to pass on their good qualities to their offspring why would they want to use Ben? The only way to get good bitches is for Ben to prove himself an outstanding example of his breed in the show ring or at working trials. Of course, you can always let him mate the second, third, fourth rate bitch belonging to your neighbour, which will no doubt result in second, third, fourth rate puppies.

And what about those puppies? You, as stud owner, have no rights over their welfare or future. Will it not bother you if the puppies that your dog was instrumental in producing do not find good homes, or end up in rescue, or passed from owner to owner, or are used as breeding machines, or join the legion of strays foraging for a living, or are picked up and used as bait for fighting dogs, or are destroyed simply because no-one wants them?

Once a male dog has covered a bitch then it is quite likely that he may start to exhibit undesirable behaviours. Aggression towards other males is a real possibility. He may become far more territorial. His sense of his own importance may become inflated making him less amenable to commands and more difficult to control. When he scents a bitch in season he will be even more likely to whine, howl, go off his food, become moody and irritable, and seek to escape. He will be inclined to mark inappropriately, and the smell of stud urine is rather powerful to say the least.

If you are worried about his frustrations then have him castrated. This will remove the hormone-driven urges but will not alter his personality.
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
thanks u shadowboxer
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi buster :smt039 where you been?
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
hey u

lots of work and not much play at the mo
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Rubbish, no that feeling!

Hows Buster (the dog )??
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
i know its not good only had time to quickly glance on here lately but will be making more of an effort! i only have pc in work.

he's fab and enjoying the weather and going down the beach on the weekends.

how are u? and the lil one?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah good good, Roxy is growing - fast! I have put a few piccys up recently .

Did you find out any more about new house etc???
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2006, 12:27 PM
sorry for the delay in my reply.

i will have to have a look at the pics when i am at my mums on her pc as i cant view them in work. how old is she now?

no news as of yet wont find out until the end of august as it is a council run scheme we have to submit an application but i did get the mortgage accepted.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by buster
sorry for the delay in my reply.

i will have to have a look at the pics when i am at my mums on her pc as i cant view them in work. how old is she now?

no news as of yet wont find out until the end of august as it is a council run scheme we have to submit an application but i did get the mortgage accepted.
End of August? Gosh, that is a long wait. Roxy is 4 months now, 5 in a couple of weeks