Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Spear
New Member!
Female 

06-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
So the poor bitch has had 4 litters in 2yrs........... just to supply the demand
She only had 3 litters.
Spear
New Member!
Female 

06-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I wonder why there is such a huge demand for random mixed breed dogs? That's confusing me, as well. The overbred dog is probably just fine, but where's the demand for mixed breed dogs coming from? Nobody here would ever want or pay for random mixed breed dogs (probably without any health tests). So where, why, and how is she finding all these people who want these dogs? Perhaps really tiny litters? Just very weird to me all the way around.
You seriously can't tell me you don't think these 2 are really good looking animals?

They were vetted and vaccinated before being given to their new homes. And they were not small litters - 1st liter was 6 pups, 2nd litter 12 pups (We were prepared to bottle feed if need be but 'mom' surprised us all and handled them very well without our help), last litter was 7 pups.

Genetic diversity is important for the survival of any species and I believe that so called 'line breeding' is a truly horrible practice.

Our 'mutts' have spent less time at the vets than most pure breeds that I know.

If I was only interested in making money by producing a load of puppies every few months I would not of joined this forum and I'm truly sorry that you would think that of me!
I despise puppy mills and animal hordes as much as any of you do.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2015, 08:02 PM
In my opinion, my two dogs are "really good looking animals", but I'd never BREED from them for no reason. My last dog had great genes, strong joints and muscles, smart and brave, but I decided that breeding from him would be stupid, even though a few people ASKED me to and admittedly I kinda wanted to. But I smartened up and realized it would have been short sighted and pointless.

There are TONS of "good looking animals" already waiting for homes in shelters. What's the point of adding MORE mixed breed dogs to the world? Those same people who got your dogs could have gotten just as "good looking" dogs from a shelter or a registered breeder who only breeds ethically. Good looking animals are not hard to find.

Now I don't support even "ethical" breeders because the world simply doesn't need more dogs at all, but breeding just because you want to makes no sense. It's hilarious how many people even wanted those mixed dogs, it would never happen here. Those dogs would end up in shelters. It's very hard for me to believe you had that kind of waiting list on some randomly bred, mixed breed dogs. Different worlds, I guess.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Spear View Post
She only had 3 litters.
So her first litter she had 6 pups, 12 mths later she has 12 pups, then 6 mths after that she has another 7 pups......yep that's what I call good ethical breeders .....NOT!!!!

I'm guessing since both dogs are medium to large. I expect you did health screening on both dogs, what hip scores do the parents have.

Anyone that makes a bitch have a litter 6 mths after producing and caring for 12 pups is not ethical, you have bred for a demand without any care for the bitches wellbeing.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Quite apart from the overuse of this poor bitch, I cannot understand why anyone wants to deliberately breed mongrels, while the shelters are bursting with so many unwanted dogs. Issues of genetic diversity may be an important concept within a breed - but the term really has no meaning when applied to random multi crosses. If you have been taken in by reading claims about hybrid vigour, then you have a lot of homework to do.
I'm left wondering whether this thread has been planted as a spoof, and is just designed to get us all agitated.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Breeds are created by crossing other breeds. Some "pure bred" dog fans seem to forget this. The breeds are then (supposed to be) strengthened by breeding the healthiest dogs from the litters, after health testing to find these dogs. Still technically mutts, but add a fancy name to them, try and keep the unhealthy dogs out, breed them the same way for long enough, and you get a new breed soon enough. Technically, she could do this with her dogs, given enough time and some help.

Dogs like the Utonagan (and many other breeds, such as the American Bully, Bully Kutta etc.) are not really even considered real breeds and are only recognized in certain areas/regions because they are too new or the breed standard is still too vague etc. There's no need for "new" breeds but I digress.

That being said, I shan't be planting my lips upon the "ethical" breeders rear ends, but I can say that breeding dogs in this manner doesn't seem to make a ton of sense. I don't even see how they could have had a waiting list for such dogs. Makes no sense, so perhaps CaroleC is correct... this may be stringing us along.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-04-2015, 10:38 PM
So there Mal x Lab X Dalmatian? 100% NO.

Just by the masking, there is a Molosser breed in there.

I would say by the masking there is either EM, BM, or Boerboel in there somewhere.

If you look at the chest/masking/color and ears it screams one of the 3 I listed as a mix.

To breed a bitch 4 times in 2 years someone needs there a$$ kicked. Do not care is admin bans me, that is about the most careless breeding I have ever heard of, doubt a BYB breeder would be that careless because of the issues and they would lose money.

To do that show a lack of knowledge and a lack of caring for your dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Breeds are created by crossing other breeds. Some "pure bred" dog fans seem to forget this. The breeds are then (supposed to be) strengthened by breeding the healthiest dogs from the litters, after health testing to find these dogs. Still technically mutts, but add a fancy name to them, try and keep the unhealthy dogs out, breed them the same way for long enough, and you get a new breed soon enough. Technically, she could do this with her dogs, given enough time and some help.
I think most pure bred fans will know what heritage is behind their breeds, I hear this argument often, "all breeds were created by crossbreeding" yes that true, but the reality of producing breeds, is very much frowned upon in today`s world. For instance the Black Russian Terrier, is a new breed (I think 50/60`s) if I am right, there will be others that I cant recall at the moment. the breeding regime for a breed would have been extremely tight and ruthless, any of springs that did not fit the standard they set down would be culled (euthanize ) they would not sell surplus pups to the public, they would breed tightly they were producing type after type... for many years , then at some point would be recognised by the country of origin.

That is why all these doodles, poos, and northan breeds and bull dog types are unlike to ever by recognized as a true breed.

There are to few people with an ideal , and to many people with of of springs who will breed ........hence you never get a true consistent type.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2015, 12:26 AM
I see Boerboel by the color and legs of those two but I could be wrong.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2015, 08:11 AM
i would have said Dane or Ridgie somewhere along the 'line'
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3