Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I have no phobia of rats... I used to have over 30 pet ones The wild ones I see are very pretty, and rather cute.

My problem is that they are coming out in broad daylight and stealing my eggs (plus eating the food and drinking the water). We have a 50mx50m enclosure for the birds, with 2m high fencing around it (with a wobbly top to discourage climbing). Problem is we are next to a stable block, which also attracts them.

We've tried 'over the counter' poisons and traps, and have now had to resort to calling in the professionals.

I've got 16 laying birds (ducks and hens) and have had 3 eggs in 5 days, when I should be getting over 10 a day. I have found the egg shells, and the rat holes, and this morning was confronted with a rat sat by the edge of the duck pond having a wash....

I'm more concerned about Weil's disease than a stoat/weasel attack....
Just wanted to add, I wasn't thinking you were getting rid of them because of the eeeugh factor, I know that there are health issues and risks to the chicks
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I dont have any qualms about swotting wasps! During recent renovations to their house builders found wasp nest in sister's eaves which had to be removed. Pest control said this one hive would have been habitat to 2000 + wasps

For those who gave bever seen wasp nest - see below along with BIL's comments & this was onlynpart of the nest!

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O Lord!!
Not in public please.

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i think the point she is trying to make is she has been. once. maybe wouldnt go again, maybe would. her point is she went to try it, just like she did the opera
Merely making a point of READING the posts as Gnasher keeps pointing out people dont do!

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Do you know, I can't remember now the point of all!! I've lost the will to live here!!
Me too, ages ago.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I dont have any qualms about swotting wasps! During recent renovations to their house builders found wasp nest in sister's eaves which had to be removed. Pest control said this one hive would have been habitat to 2000 + wasps

For those who gave bever seen wasp nest - see below along with BIL's comments & this was onlynpart of the nest!

Oh my word Helen, that is one big wasps nest. The ones I've found are only golf ball size thankfully
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Merely making a point of READING the posts as Gnasher keeps pointing out people dont do!
do i get pom poms for reading it?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
do i get pom poms for reading it?
But of course....

x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 06:41 PM
But of course....

yey!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Oh my word Helen, that is one big wasps nest. The ones I've found are only golf ball size thankfully
I did actually see it as it was in the photo with wasps buzzing round it. BIL said it was equivalent to large football size. Goodness knows how long it had been there. The Builders wouldnt continue their work until it was gone
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
But if I was to do this, I'd have to drive miles and miles and miles to release them far enough away that they wouldn't come back - and I'd be making them someone else's problem.....
Any river bed will do - they will generally live there and not bother anyone afaik
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Not in public please.

Me too, ages ago.
LOL!!
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >