Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Feeding part raw...

When I move I will hopefully have 2 freezers so I can spare a drawer for Kestral. Don't think I'll have enough to change full over to raw from dry but I'd like to try her on a bit.

So - do I have to properly feed all proportions of raw such as offal etc, or can I just feed odd bits such as chicken wings and mince.

A little menu suggestion would be great

I have in mind feeding breakfast dry, then in the evening some raw.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2012, 10:37 PM
That's kind of what I'm doing currently
He has about 1/4 of his daily food in the morning as kibble then 3/4 in the evening which is raw.
I balance out the raw as if I was only feeding raw. So he gets meat, bones and offal over the week.
If you were feeding raw as an occasional treat, eg a chicken wing then it wouldn't need to be balanced as it is just a treat.

If that makes sense?!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Before I switched over, Louie would get 2 -3 meals raw a week, the rest were kibble. He'd have Chicken carcasses or a whole rabbit from the butchers. I didn't do the balancing thing.. probably should have - did try and gave up at the first hurdle.

But I would do what T_M does with her dogs - they look great and it seems to work for them
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I'd balance it out of you can. Over the week mine get 3 none meals (I wanted to feed more but they couldn't take it) they get offal twice a week and the rest is a mixture of mince tripe and fish.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-03-2012, 07:33 AM
How do you balance it out?

Do you have to have offal, meat and bones in the same meal or is it spread out over the week.

I will start on raw when i can the cupboard set up for a second freezer, but i will probably do at least one meal per day on kibble
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
How do you balance it out?

Do you have to have offal, meat and bones in the same meal or is it spread out over the week.

I will start on raw when i can the cupboard set up for a second freezer, but i will probably do at least one meal per day on kibble
I balance it over the week. They get 3 bone meals, 2 offal meals (I have smaller dogs do with larger you could add some of the offal to mince to spread it out) they then get two maybe 3 meals of fish and the rest is mince, tripe and they also have egg once a week too.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I feed offal twice a week with a bone meal, usually a chicken carcass as it can make them a bit loose.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
I feed offal twice a week with a bone meal, usually a chicken carcass as it can make them a bit loose.
Oh forgot to mention that. Mine get their offal meal as the morning after bone meal or the other way round. Only because they only have about 150g a day so it's a pain as it trying to do their food
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I keep a diary of Pereg's meals so I can balance out what she has. She has a bone meal every other day as her first meal, either chicken wings, chicken back or carcass, or half a turkey neck. Liver she has about every 3 - 4 days as any more makes her stools loose, and I give her a kibble [or kibble plus vegetables] meal maybe once a week - 10 days, so that she will eat kibble in case of an emergency.

Other meals, meat [usually poultry hearts or gizzards, sometimes mince], fish, egg, yoghurt, tinned tuna or sardines - whatever she has not had for a couple of days, just so that she has a varied diet. Eggs and yoghurt are added to something else, not just as a meal on their own, and she does have a lot of vegetables to bulk out her meals as she is on a diet and everything has to be weighed.

She also has various supplements to make sure she has all the nutrients she needs.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks all for the help so far

So as a general plan would I feed (as evening meals only);

Chicken wings/thighs - 2 nights p/w
Mince - 3 nights p/w
Offal - 2 nights p/w

Do you feed mince with or without bone?
What classes as offal; all innards except heart?

Is it correct that its about 2% body weight you aim to feed raw - so for a 13kg dog I would feed 130 grams per day raw (assuming she eats kibble in the morning)?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >