Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Question regarding No Claims Bonus's

Someone has told me that your No Claims Bonus expire after a period of time.

It's ages since I've had to use car insurance. Now I am buying a car can anyone tell me if No Claims Bonuses expire after a certain time. It's been over 3 years since my last car? So if I am getting quotes am I entitled to claim full no claims?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I would contact your last insurance company and see if they will honor the NC it is possible I did not have a car for 2 years phoned the AA (my last insurer) actually and they honoured it, I never expected it but you can only ask.

Obviously then its a bit catch 22 because I then went with them but worth it o get the NC back, so tat year I stayed with them and then moved back again this year to AA but planning on moving my insurance again - better deals for "new" customers there is no loyalty in car insurance land.

Oh another note they may only honor half of it but if you do not ask you will never know, and they can only say No. The lady at the AA said they keep insurance details for 3 years but you never know they all want the bussiness.

Was going to ask what type of car you were getting but just read the other thread........Happy driving.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I have a sneaky feeling the limit is around the 5 year mark,but as always this might be open to interpretation by various insurance companies.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 07:55 PM
There may be a difference between companies as when Dave cancelled his insurance due to getting a company car he was told 2 years. It's worth trying Kazz's suggestion.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Someone has told me that your No Claims Bonus expire after a period of time.

It's ages since I've had to use car insurance. Now I am buying a car can anyone tell me if No Claims Bonuses expire after a certain time. It's been over 3 years since my last car? So if I am getting quotes am I entitled to claim full no claims?
Some companies will take into account prior history or a letter from your company car insurer as evidence for your No Claims Bonus.

And you can do some preventive planning with some ins cos too if either of the above is likely to occur.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Iv just got insurance after not having my own insurance for over a year. I was told that if its more than 24months since u last had insurance your NCB expires.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Have you been a "named driver" on some one else's policy? My eversuffering husband was on mine for several years and when we decided to get him his own policy, the company we went with took this into consideration.
Might be worth asking.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:37 AM
If you don't get a NCB, there are other discounts that you can get on Car insurance, you do have to deal with a human being though !