Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Ah I'm not the only one who walks the dogs. I am though the only one who seems capable of keeping consistent training.

I am sick of hearing "sit then, sit, sit Louie, sit" Instead of "Louie, sit" my OH's mum.

But my parents are the same "Down" No the word for get off the sofa is "OFF" Down means lay down -

The dogs a challenge enough - I don't need the added ignorance.
I am always walking alfie, whether there are other people there or not. But I am unemployed at the moment so have the time to.

I had that, EXACT same thing with the down/off, but when he was little dad used to go "stay stay STAY" and im like.... he doesnt know stay yet, he only knows "wait", and many others.
This is actually part the reason I go on every walk he goes on when I can...

I do say "alfie come" instead of just come.
I will try the whistle though - thanks

I will probably see what works best. When I say him name he gives me eye contact, this is how he has been trained, so may be easier using his name aswell, but may try just the whistle first
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I am always walking alfie, whether there are other people there or not. But I am unemployed at the moment so have the time to.

I had that, EXACT same thing with the down/off, but when he was little dad used to go "stay stay STAY" and im like.... he doesnt know stay yet, he only knows "wait", and many others.
This is actually part the reason I go on every walk he goes on when I can...

I do say "alfie come" instead of just come.
I will try the whistle though - thanks

I will probably see what works best. When I say him name he gives me eye contact, this is how he has been trained, so may be easier using his name aswell, but may try just the whistle first
Make sure you charge it up first. He has to know whistle means treat - then you take it outside and train how you did with his name but using the whistle instead.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Make sure you charge it up first. He has to know whistle means treat - then you take it outside and train how you did with his name but using the whistle instead.
Yeah thanks
To him, treats are only worth something in the house/garden, in the park he isn't interested. Smokeybear put on a different thread about putting all their daily food into small amounts and giving him one amount if he recalls when called/whistled (obviously working up to this), as he should then start to pay attention more.

It has been tricky with him as he ignores toys and treats in the park/on walks normally, and without either of these options it makes being more rewarding than playing with a dog, quite tricky!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Hunger is very motivating.

Would you go to work if you won the lottery?
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Lol exactly!
So will give that a go with the whistle and hopefully the new combo will work well
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 07:30 PM
"charged" up the whistle this evening in the hall and then id recall (if you can call it that), from just a few feet away, called him and then whistled as he was coming towards me.

Tomorrow I will do this a bit again and then move to the garden
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2