Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post

Glad to know its not just mine but I wonder how can recomend spaniels for kids if a lot are like this????
Not read all the posts but..

at the end if the day no matter what breed you have you have to be prepared to put the hard work in to have a dog that can be suitable around people animals kids ect.

Just because you have a particular breed does not mean they are okay in a certain situation
ATD x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
You still are missing the point I think---it isn't the dogs---it is mismanagement and bad advice.

You can't learn from forums---you need a class or similar.

For now I would suggest you put a trail lead on when she is in the house---a line that won't get caught on anything and that you can get hold of to put her out or get her to where you want her. When you do move her don't look at her and don't sound cross.

If she is jumping at your hands for titbits she probably hasn't grasped that they are coming for an action she is doing.

What are you feeding her on? Probably not a factor but might be an idea to avoid colourings etc anyway.

Putting a toy in her mouth is a good idea, a soft fluffy one is usually good. When you want it back don't just take it, swop it for a titbit and be positive and happy about it---then when she nicks things you don't want her to have she will give them up to you for a titbit and you won't have to be annoyed. Never chase her for anything and never take it from her when she goes under things to hide---sure way of getting bitten.

The trainer you get will help you more, what I have written is just to try and get a better relationship and paper over a few of the cracks. Not a solution.

rune
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I've just finished dealing with a spaniel pup (ESS) who sounds very similar to yours. I know the owners well and the have always had lovely dogs and the current youngster was being trained in the same way.

However, I was surprised when I met the current pup - full blown 'temper tantrums' and displays of real fury.

4 months on, we have worked through the problems and she is doing very well and turning into a lovely girl.

I am sure with the right trainer and time and patience your pup will come good.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:37 PM
You still are missing the point I think---it isn't the dogs---it is mismanagement and bad advice.

You can't learn from forums---you need a class or similar.

For now I would suggest you put a trail lead on when she is in the house---a line that won't get caught on anything and that you can get hold of to put her out or get her to where you want her. When you do move her don't look at her and don't sound cross. --

If she is jumping at your hands for titbits she probably hasn't grasped that they are coming for an action she is doing.

What are you feeding her on? Probably not a factor but might be an idea to avoid colourings etc anyway. ---

I was recomended raw by the breeder but found she had bad diareah even with puppy chicken meat it never aggreed with her so I switched to pedigree chum dried buiscits and wet food which is more boring but at least she doesnt get an upset tummy real food doesnt aggree with her very well which is a shame as I enjoyed making her meals for her, im lucky she has such a keen appetite id love to give her oppational healthy foods but other then scrambled eggs microwaved and put in her kong when cool their isnt much else I can give her. I feed 2 wet foods and 1 buiscit meal.

Putting a toy in her mouth is a good idea, a soft fluffy one is usually good. When you want it back don't just take it, swop it for a titbit and be positive and happy about it---then when she nicks things you don't want her to have she will give them up to you for a titbit and you won't have to be annoyed. Never chase her for anything and never take it from her when she goes under things to hide---sure way of getting bitten. --

I had to learn the hard way as an inexperienced owner such advice doesnt seem available enough, I have got into the habbit of playing swapseas with her If she has a toy and I want I swap it for another and give her positive praise when she drops her toy but she is clever she will carry one her mouth drop it nearby knowing she cant catch both and then quickly grab it whilst carrying the other!!

The trainer you get will help you more, what I have written is just to try and get a better relationship and paper over a few of the cracks. Not a solution.--

rune
Hopefully I can be recomended good trainers in Essex near southend on sea :>>
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Etta has a temper but it is usually against the others when she gets cross about toys etc when they are playing. She only does it with dogs she knows well.

She used to scream in the crate and she still complains bitterly if she wants to be somewhere else, she will scream and scrabble at the window in the car---what a naughty girl

Its a self control issue--as with children!

rune
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Not limited no---but very common.

You were really sensible with yours and listened to people and did the right things.

rune
Lol, I guess i didnt use every bit of all the advice given lol, but I did do a lot of talking about potential things, get answers, make an informed decision with all the facts i had, and be prepared to go back and get the professional help offered if it became necessary. I know you were wary of this breed because of the high energy/brain etc for some owners, but well so far at least i think we have proved that sometimes they do work for first time owners (even in twos), but they do need to have you know and be learning all the time what you are doing with them. (I really do believe I am the luckiest to have the two wonderful characters i have!)

Good luck with your pup, she is young enough for you to get the right help and support and as Abbey has said, yes she may be one step beyond what a 'normal' pup is but you have time with her to be able to deal with this, just be careful choosing the trainer to help you.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:59 AM
We went for a while of Millie deciding she wanted the mat in the hall then one day the cat got locked in the room by my dad out came the cat and off went the pup! Not bad for twenty year old gerriatric moggy

Even my chickens outsmart her at least three know how to handle her the other three I wouldnt trust Millie with. Millie will bark at the when their in their runs but if their out she retreats back to the house guess she isnt all bad.

I think if the world ran out of energy they could supply a few cockcers on hampster wheels to power everything 0.o''

Thanks for everyones advice its nice to know she is old enough to be corrected with the right guidence ive had a chat with mum and we have agreed to split the fee when we get a trainer that way it works out a bit cheaper for us.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5