View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
steph52
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2012, 02:38 PM
yes, i believe i can. i would say it depends on individual cases? if the old lady is so frail that there is no control whatsoever then obv she shouldn't have the dog? but i would suggest there are many people with giant breeds that are far "outweighed" by their dogs & if one of those dogs were determined the owner would lose hands-down lol! but that could also apply to horses & live stock too ... that man leading the bull would have a problem if said bull decided to go in the opposite direction .. it all depends on handling ability surely?
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2012, 02:44 PM
On the flat.....yes I can hold her. However, only a few weeks ago we were walking very close to a river banking which sloped quite steeply. Molly saw something down in the river and took me with her down the banking I managed to dig my heels in enough to stop myself from actually going in the river as at this point I was on my back

Like many others on here I've owned/handled/worked horses all my life, mainly TB, ID and ISH, some of them have been feisty to say the least. The only one I ever managed to 'lose' was a little diddling Dartmoor pony, once he'd set his neck there wasn't anything I could do for love nor money!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 02:45 PM
You can have all the handling ability in the world, but if an animal stronger than you decides to go, it goes.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I could probably hold one GSD back, even if he was determined to go, but might struggle if both boys decided to pull at the same time. Thankfully it has never happened yet.

I wouldn't struggle to hold Flame and/or Rip though, as they are both old timers now
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I can hold back both my powerful Brownie AND my mothers powerful Jade yanking at the same thing. I find it unacceptable to have a dog that is stronger than you. I'm 5'8" and over 200 lbs and I am plenty strong enough to hold back both dogs. Not once has one of them yanked free of my clutch. Both the dogs are old now but Brownie took my 5'3" mother for a ride recently. She had his leash "noosed" around her wrist because she knows he's too strong for her and was pulled to the ground and injured because he decided to try and chase the mail truck. Both the dogs are relatively calm, but almost any dog can take off if it sees the wrong thing or gets scared enough...
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 03:11 PM
On their own, yes, but together I'm not so sure. That's why I currently walk them separately, especially with Gracie's issues.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I walk two Estrelas, a Malamute and a JRT all together every day. They have a combined weight of around 120 kilos I reckon and no, I'm not stronger than them. They are well muscled and fit, and I'm not quite so fit I can walk them together because I have taught them to walk as a group.

It's a question of the dogs knowing what is expected of them. If they see a cat and get excited I can stop them with my voice. When Womble (Estrela puppy) is older and doing proper walks I won't be adding her to the group, I will be taking them in two groups instead. Three large dogs at once is my limit.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I couldnt hold all 3 if they were working against me at full throttle but I can hold them if they see a cat or something and start pulling me, but they arent lungers or so reactive that I cant handle them.

Individually yes, I would be able to hold them back.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You can have all the handling ability in the world, but if an animal stronger than you decides to go, it goes.
So so true, as someone who tried to hold on to a pony that wants the grass across the paddock can testify to
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 04:21 PM
As an aside NEVER wrap a lead around your wrist, quickest way to break it and/or get pulled over.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »