Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Best Bones for Teeth Cleaning?

Storm isn't fed raw, but every other day has a raw Lamb stock bone from our local supermarket. This is just a softish rib bone with a little bit of meat and fat on. Is this sufficient for keeping his teeth clean?

Where we live, we can either get him these Lamb stock bones, or get a big cheap bag of Beef knuckle bones (which he doesn't really like), or a pack of two small marrow bones, which are quite expensive for the amount you get.

So, do you think the Lamb bones are good enough for keeping his teeth clean, or should we also buy the pack of marrow bones and just give him two a week....Would that be sufficient??

He's got lovely clean teeth at the minute, but there is a tiny amount of brown starting to form on the top of some of them.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Hi

Its the ripping and tearing of flesh that cleans teeth..knuckle/marrow bones wear teeth down

I'd go for ribs and alike.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 09:16 AM
My mob get chicken wings every morning (mini mutt gets poultry necks ) and that seems to do the trick.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Here's my thread on the same topic which you might find helpful

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=143780

Cain gets chicken wings twice a week, chicken carcass or lamb ribs once a week and half a whole rabbit once a week in the way of bones. He also gets a daily whole carrot which is supposed to help. I can't get hold of marrow bones Although his teeth were fine I too found he was getting a little brown staining around the top of his canines. I was unhappy about this so, rather than rely on bones, I've started brushing his teeth.

I brush his teeth every 2-3 days with logic gel and I've found the staining really reducing It may not be necessary and lots of people swear that bones alone are enough, but brushing his teeth make me feel happier and it's a good way for him to accept me handling his mouth. I refused to have a dog with bad teeth, sooooo many dogs have poor teeth and it's so avoidable. I am determined not to have a fat dog with bad teeth which seems to be the most common yet avoidable problems with British dogs. Maybe I worry too much
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

Think I will just stick with the Lamb bones.

Didn't realise knuckle bones and such like wear down the teeth, suppose it makes sense though.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Try chicken wings. Rue's teeth were dreadful when she first arrived - all yellow and brown and did make her look very old.

After a few months of getting chicken wings for breakfast every day, they are so clean now and knock years off her age estimate!