Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 05:25 PM

Some people!

I went camping this weekend and this morning when we were packing up our tent a dog wondered into our part of the campsite. There were a group of about 20 of us, and lots of children playing in the middle of the ring of tents.

As this was a dog we didn't know i slipped a lead on it and took it to the next lot of tents to see if it belonged to anyone.

The people at the next lot of tents said " it's not our dog but some children found it on the beach yesterday and asked us if it was ours. We said it wasn't but we would take it, so we brought it here. We gave it some water and tried to feed it - we gave it a pepper (they seemed to find this funny) but it didn't want it"

They didn't really seem to want it anymore and had made no effort to contact the dog warden or the police saying that they didn't have a phone. But they had taken it off someone else ten miles away, driven it to a campsite (which is someone else private property and where children are playing!) and let it roam!

I told them they would need to contact the dog warden but they said i seemed to know what i was doing so could i do it!

So after half an hour of various phone calls trying to get someone to take responsibility for a stray dog (which is easier said than done) We finally took it to a police station where we were told they had a spare kennel.

He was a very well looked after entire youngish chocolate lab. Anyway despite the idiots at the campsite, the story does have a happy ended as this afternoon we had a call from the dogs owners thanking us saying that they had just picked him up from the police station. They had been night fishing with the dog and it had shot off after a deer. Apparantly it did have a collar on but must have lost it in it's wanderings..
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Glad the story ends happily for the poor doggie.
As you say "Some People"
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Some people are the limit.

Still it had a happy ending thanks to you. So glad to hear the dog nd its owners were re-united.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:26 PM
It was a happy ending.

What i don't understand is why take responsibility for the dog in the first place if they were only going to let it go again later!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Some people haven't got a clue, have they?!
Thank goodness for this lad you were there to help out, goodness only knows where he'd have ended up otherwise!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Well done for doin the right thing, some people haven't the brains of a false face.
stafford
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
well done to you for stepping up.
mmm bit puzzled about the police station bit tho as i was told by my local dog warden that the police staition as of the 1st of april (approx) the police no longer take any dog it has to the local dog warden. Or is this just my part of the uk?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Dear me, I would be furious if that was my dog, some people are so flippant ! Glad it ended well.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Well done for taking responsibility and I'm so glad that he's back with his owner.

Unfortunately this seems to happen quite a lot. Our local rescue centre tell me they often get dogs in from miles away because lorry drivers and others see a stray dog and think 'it'll keep me company' - then they often just dump it at the other end of their journey (though some do hand them in).
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks to you, a happy ending! Well done
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >