View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
animallover77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Holly (CKCS) being speyed on monday......advice please...

Hi all,

As a newbie just want some advice. My rescue doggie holly (CKCS) is being speyed on Monday.
We usually have 2 good walks a day and she has a dog walker 2x week for 1 hour. Should i cancel the dog walker for next week? How long is the recovery time??

Thank you xx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
it would be best to ask ur vet as he/she will know how holly has been affected. She will need rest however and lead walking for up to 14 days.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
The first days she should just have shorter walks on her lead, so I would say don't cancel the dog walker as she will still need to be taken out to go to the toilet, but just a 10-15 minutes walk for that purpose perhaps. She should not be let off the lead til the stitches are out, she can pull them and get infections etc, seems like a long time but it will pass by quickly lol.
Well done for getting her spayed :smt001 it is just so much easier for all parts!! not to mention health benefits as I am sure you are aware.
animallover77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:04 PM
health benefits as I am sure you are aware.
[/QUOTE]

no please expand!

x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I was told to only walk round the block onlead for a few days, and that was after a couple of days for her to get over the op. If it was my dog, I certainly wouldn't let a dog walker be in charge of her next week in case she went out en-mass with all the other doglets and let them all run around? Maybe if you ask her nicely, she'd do a "special" for you and just walk your dog round the block each day, when she's well enough to do even that of course! Good luck with the spey, I think you'll make your own mind up when she's recovered from the op and you see how well she's doing?
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
no please expand!

x[/QUOTE]

you reduce your dogs risk of mammary tumors (cancer) and she can also not get pyometra , which in severe cases can kill within hours. Also your dog will not have the hormone levels going up and down with each season, something that can really upset some dogs.

Helena, I was not aware that dog walkers took out large groups of dogs and let them run freely, only thought that happened in movies from America All people I know who have dogwalkers, have them come in to just walk the dogs of that household, or even just play with them in their garden.
animallover77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
no please expand!

x
you reduce your dogs risk of mammary tumors (cancer) and she can also not get pyometra , which in severe cases can kill within hours. Also your dog will not have the hormone levels going up and down with each season, something that can really upset some dogs.

Helena, I was not aware that dog walkers took out large groups of dogs and let them run freely, only thought that happened in movies from America All people I know who have dogwalkers, have them come in to just walk the dogs of that household, or even just play with them in their garden.[/QUOTE]

Mine does walk in small group actually!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

02-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Just remember NO jumping on chairs or climbing steps/stairs, and if she starts to nibble at the stitches then get a "lampshade" from the Vet. I used to put mine in old T-shirts front legs through the arm holes, cut some holes for the back legs and used a big nappy pin to gather all the T.shirt together round the back end,(make sure you leave the tail out to wagLOL) undoing it of course when I took them out. But mine were bigger dogs!!Have you any friends with small children who might have a cast-off T-shirt? Keep her quiet, make a bit of fuss of her if she's a bit down, but you will be surprised at how soon she is up and ready to go again. Dogs recover far quicker than humans. Kath
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
Helena, I was not aware that dog walkers took out large groups of dogs and let them run freely, only thought that happened in movies from America All people I know who have dogwalkers, have them come in to just walk the dogs of that household, or even just play with them in their garden.
Well you're very lucky indeed if that's all that goes on in your area with these people! We have quite a few around here, and one moronic woman takes out about 20 dogs, all totally out of control, some lost in the woods (I've found them!!!), it really is unbelievable what is happening with these dog walkers I've got in my area. I've even phoned the dog warden about it, but sadly there is no law YET as to how many dogs they can take out at any one time, soon to be reduced by law to 7 though he hopes!!

Therefore, I would check up thoroughly with your own personal dog walker on exactly how she carries out her walking regime??? At the very least, you should explain to her that you want your dog walked on her own during the time she's recouperating.

There are a couple of very reputable dog walkers in my area (one is a very good friend of mine), and they are much more sensible about things. Just wanted you to be aware of what can go on, that's all!

All the best for next week anyway, hope all goes well.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry i havent got any advice but just wanted to wish holly good luck xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >