Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Overly playful

Hi to all, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on trying to calm my dally when he meets other dogs. This might sound stupid but im starting to lose my confidence letting Diz exercise off the lead. Now he is getting bigger and faster other dogs just dont want to play with him and quite frankly he cant take a hint and i end up dragging him away on the lead. This was never a problem when Diz was younger but now it just seems that dogs are intimidated by him. I really think it would be unfair to restrain Diz to lead walks for the rest of his life. To me Dizney is just overly playful.Will try ANYTHING to make walks less restricted for him.

Jay&Diz
p.s My spelling is probably a bit naf, but hopefully readable (soz)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by SpottyDogsRule
Hi to all, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on trying to calm my dally when he meets other dogs. This might sound stupid but im starting to lose my confidence letting Diz exercise off the lead. Now he is getting bigger and faster other dogs just dont want to play with him and quite frankly he cant take a hint and i end up dragging him away on the lead. This was never a problem when Diz was younger but now it just seems that dogs are intimidated by him. I really think it would be unfair to restrain Diz to lead walks for the rest of his life. To me Dizney is just overly playful.Will try ANYTHING to make walks less restricted for him.
Jay&Diz
p.s My spelling is probably a bit naf, but hopefully readable (soz)
Hell Jay and Diz if it is off the lead when you are having the problem you need to train Diz to come when he is called..this may help You need to prevent him from running up to other dogs particularly if they are on the lead .. he could get bitten.

If you are having a problem when Diz sees dogs coming towards you and he is on the lead try distracting him with a toy or tipbit and use this to get his attention until they have passed.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2005, 04:35 PM
thanx minihaha,I will give the link a read and i have taken on board your advice, Dizney is already trained to come back to a dog whistle but i will give the name thing ago! Many thanks , Jay
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 09:44 PM
This is very typical of the breed I am afraid, partly why I love 'em but as already said, it could end in tears if he rushes up to an unreliable dog. Dalmatians can be trained to do anything, Polo's son Nugget got his Good Citizens GOLD at 11 months and many are doing competition obedience. However, it is HARD WORK as they have the attention span of a gnat and are naturally party animals imagine a lab on ecstacy

So get some good, regular training, if it is once a week formally then make sure you consolidate it every day by keeping up what you have been taught, short frequent sessions seem particularly effective, and you will have a happy, well behaved dog.

Dalmatians start to settle at 2 although it is not very noticeable, and are fully mature at 5. Unfortunately for me, Polo is still an idiot at five and a half

Good luck!

Gill