Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 05:50 AM

Puppy getting distracted when eating

My 7 week old pup gets distracted all the time when eating. I'll put her food down and she'll have one bit, then wander off and want to play and then go back occasionally for more. I read that you should take the food away after ten minutes but then she'd never eat enough and she's so young that i'd worry she wasn't getting enough nutrients. Should I be addressing this or just let her take her time?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 05:58 AM
I never worry about things like this when they are so young, she has a stomache the size of a nut so what you feel isn't enough more than like is for her, she comes back and eats so why worry. It shows IMO that she knows where it is and that there is no competition for food. As she gets older Im sure she will finish it all off leaving a clean plate, ATM as she is exploring her new world having fun etc, I'd leave her to get on with it
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I never worry about things like this when they are so young, she has a stomache the size of a nut so what you feel isn't enough more than like is for her, she comes back and eats so why worry. It shows IMO that she knows where it is and that there is no competition for food. As she gets older Im sure she will finish it all off leaving a clean plate, ATM as she is exploring her new world having fun etc, I'd leave her to get on with it
Good post

Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Good, thank you. I just didn't want to ignore it if it turned out to be something you had to 'knock on the head' behaviour wise early on. Kind of nice that for once it isn't something I should be trying to control!
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:14 AM
My puppy does EXACTLY the same thing so I woildn't worry She likes to stop after every couple of mouthfuls to weave through my legs and then she'll return again She has the attention span of a goldfish at the moment but she never finishes her meals and she's not too skinny even for a whippet so I don't worry too much!