View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Things are really tight for us at the moment, so I've had to stop my regular monetary donations (I used to donate to an animal charity and to Cancer and Arthritis Research). I do try to give a little when we can, such as when the RAF cadets or Scouts are doing bag packing at the supermarkets for charities. Because our income and expenditure walks that fine line between having £1 left at the end of the month and being over, I often don't carry cash at all so that I can't be tempted by a chocolate bar or a bottle of juice, or something else that I don't really need, so I often feel awful when I pass people collecting for charity and can't give something.

I do, however, give some time and effort to a charity that is close to my heart and I run a fundraiser for them. It's been ongoing for more than 12 months now, and has raised about £250.

It bothers me when bags are pushed through my door for clothing collection. We can't afford to buy new, so I always patch and repair our things until they are literally unfit for use, other than as dusters. Again, I suppose it's one of those things that reminds me that I should be giving and I often think I'm being selfish by wanting to hold onto the clothes I'm wearing! When I do get new things, such as birthdays and Yule, I try to have a bit of a clear out and anything that is in reasonable condition that I haven't worn for 6 months, I bag up and take to one of the local charity shops. When my ex husband moved out, I also carted a lot of junk off to a local charity shop after I let him sort out what he wanted and what he wasn't bothered about.

Occasionally, we have people offering to lend us money so that we can join in with the things our friends are doing, and that makes me most ashamed of all. We can't afford to pay it back, and the last thing I want is a reputation for borrowing money and never returning it, so I always thank them but decline. The offer is very much appreciated and shows that our friends are thinking of us, but the last thing we want is more paying back to worry about.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
There are lot's of people that can't give and sometime's a wee prayer is a great help, maybe wether you believe or not is sometimes imaterial it's the thought that count's.xxx
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
There are lot's of people that can't give and sometime's a wee prayer is a great help, maybe wether you believe or not is sometimes imaterial it's the thought that count's.xxx
It's not just about giving money
offering your time and help is just as important.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by arctic.wolf View Post
It's not just about giving money
offering your time and help is just as important.
You are right, I ve took dog's for the rescue when they have been full, got the vaccinated and re-homed. xx
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6