Female 

03-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Well said ZB I've reppied you
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
A) I would give wether they brought it upon themselves or not.
The people I see getting out of car's are brought up from over the border or so we are told, Iwould give to anyone i think, but I don't like being pushed into it, i will ask and give people a choice if im collecting for something if people can't afford to give or don't want to it cost's nothing to wish that said person well or a wee prayer fro the said person, some people try as they might still find themselves in strife not of there own accord,
eg, being put out of there home, and having nothing or feeling like they've no-one, people in alsort's of prediciment's, but it doesn't always mean they got them selves there.

Even the wee old man on the street with a bottle in his hand needs help, alcholism maybe cost him his home and family yep we get frustrated at the amount of help people need, sometimes we get frustrated at them bringing it on themselves, but they need our help to get themselves out, I might have a good old moan sometimes but i feel strongly about helping someone who through no fault or there own/or through fault of there own have fallen on bad times when all it takes is a wee bit of help from us.
Your thread has really touched a cord with me Zb ., As my uncle lost his home threw a very messy divorce shortly after my grandma died , He took to alcohol to get him threw the hard times , He ended up homeless and tbh my parents helped him out as much as they could afford , But we were always extremley grateful those people who took the time to give him a helping hand and get him back on his feet and help him find a new place to live , Sadly he later died from drink related illness at the age of 49 And he was the sort of man who would always help others no questions asked , So I reckon the help and kindness you show others comes back ten fold to others in need wether it be you or a friend or relative xxxdk
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 04:58 PM
In the case of A it depends on what they are doing and whether they are ready to accept help. Sometimes you can help all you like but it makes no difference (especially with alcoholism, I have experience with a close family member). Sometimes all you can do is be there when they fall, try to understand where they are coming from. When they are ready for help they will accept it.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Also there are a lot of coke addicts on the street's, drug abuser's all stealing to feed a habit, these poeple also need help and I would give to charities set up to help these unfortunate people too.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of hard working people in these charities. It's better to give to them than to give money to people begging on the streets I think.

Or give those begging a cup of tea and a sandqich rather than money.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of hard working people in these charities. It's better to give to them than to give money to people begging on the streets I think.

Or give those begging a cup of tea and a sandqich rather than money.
Yep I agree sarah.xx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
He took to alcohol to get him threw the hard times ,
But I have to say alcohol didn't get him through the hard times, he continued to drink and met any early death because of it.

I feel for you DK that's a sad story and not the first time someone has told me something similar.

I do help (or try to help) those in group B who have not been dealt a good 'hand' in life, who have done nothing wrong, and especially if they are not looking for someone to blame. That means I give to hospices, cancer charities (The local ones) and children. Like the Ormand Street hospital.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
But I have to say alcohol didn't get him through the hard times, he continued to drink and met any early death because of it.

I feel for you DK that's a sad story and not the first time someone has told me something similar.

I do help (or try to help) those in group B who have not been dealt a good 'hand' in life, who have done nothing wrong, and especially if they are not looking for someone to blame. That means I give to hospices, cancer charities (The local ones) and children. Like the Ormand Street hospital.
I agree Losos no matter how any times we got him help , With an alcohol counscillor and got him treatment , Because he was addicted to drink it finally took his life after a long term drink illness , Sorocious of the liver , But I completely understand what your saying hun, For him the drink blocked out his pain till he sobbered up then the pain an sorrow of loosing his wife And finally his children due to the drink , He drank again to blot it out ,It was a vicious circle that took his life xxdk
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
It's hard isn't it When every person is saying don't do it, still they continue. Why

Wish I knew the answer to that one.
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2008, 07:46 AM
I work for a charity, don't know if I should mention the name or not but here goes

Acorns Children's Hospice

This is a UK charity for life limited children providing hospice, respite care and help to bereaved families. Things that should be provided by the NHS.

Acorns always welcome donations and people are very generous with their gifts and legacies,

but at the moment the Acorns Charity shops are really struggling to get good quality stock to sell in their shops. This is mainly down to the bogus bag collectors putting bags on doorsteps either falsely claiming to be a charity, or cleverly worded flyer's vaguely saying the goods will 'help people in third wold countries' these are not charity collection bags, this is just greedy scum selling the clothes for profit and depriving genuine charities of the funds they need. If you get any of these bags please do not give them your goods, give to genuine charities who are desperate for the cash. Also Acorns has had many of their collection bags stolen from doorsteps, how low can these scum go, if you see anyone suspicious loading charity bags please take a note of their number and phone the police.

Acorns Children's Hospice desperately need stock for their shops, if any of you can spare good quality items please take them to your local Acorns shop.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >