Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jasoncathy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Preparing Food

Hi all we have a 7 week old male shih tzu we have him on purina beta puppy lamb and rice, was just wondering how best to prepare this product it says on pack just moisten.
Regards
KarenJ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by jasoncathy View Post
Hi all we have a 7 week old male shih tzu we have him on purina beta puppy lamb and rice, was just wondering how best to prepare this product it says on pack just moisten.
Regards
Do you give him anything else apart from the Beta? I've never used that on my lot, so can't really advise you, but if that what it says on the packet then its best to do it that way.

Instant porridge made with goats milk in the morning is nice with a little bit of honey mixed in. With Sidney when he was a pup I used to give him the porridge first thing. I also mixed a couple of egg yolks in with it as well, not the white, as that will bind. Then two meals using Royal Canin Giant Puppy with a little bit of meat mixed into it (two meals like that) and in the evening porridge.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 10:31 AM
If your pup is eating the dry food as it is I would just leave him be. If you start moistening it, you may find that he won't eat it if it hasn't been moistened, and you might not want to be doing that for 13+ years!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
All different advice here!

I would put a little hot water (just off boil) on it , leave it until softer and bit cooler.

It makes it easier to eat and probably tastes nicer too. as the water makes it more gravyish.
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
The puppy food is complete and doesn't need anything else other than moistening with warm water, then phase that out as the pup grows.
If you start adding porrige and other stuff (which I know some breeders recommend) then there;s always the chance that you are inadvertently overfeeding - and it's not needed.