Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Hysterectomy - Pros & Cons

Some of you may know that I have a cyst in my cervix, well I was told it was in my ovary but then was told it was in my cervix. It hadn't been troubling me and the doctor said I didn't need another scan, I should get my thyroidectomy out of the way and then they would check it out when I had my cervical smear.

I went back to my docs yesterday as it has been troubling me since the weekend...I didn't realise it was that, I had the most awful stitch down one side and felt like I was being stabbed with a knife...if it had been the other side I would have worried it was appendicitis. It isn't like it all the time, just if I touch the area, albeit very gently, and when I'm walking about, if I'm just sitting I don't really feel anything.

Anyway, I saw the first doctor again, the one who had tried to fit the coil and had originally sent me for the scan, he said that it is debatable as to whether it is in my cervix or my ovary and that I need to have another scan as he feels it has grown, my abdomen was very stiff yesterday when he examined me and he has offered me a hysterectomy

I said no thanks, I just want to get on with enjoying life but he said that he feels it will be what is required in order to get me fit again, he has arranged a scan which should come through in about 2-3 weeks time. I asked if he could arrange something in Northampton to save all the travelling to Boston but he isn't able to, I would need to see a GP down here in order to do that. He added that he would think I will be admitted to accident and emergency down here before that happens because of the sudden pain, he feels it may well have grown at the same speed as that in my thyroid and that the pain will become more intense as it is growing

I'm not too concerned about the op, I bounced back from this other one and will do the same again...although I understand it is a far bigger op. However, I don't want to be in agony in A&E and get talked into a hysterectomy if it isn't the right thing for me, I would rather just have the cyst removed if possible.

Can anyone tell me their experiences, good and bad, I would hate to make a snap decision and then regret it.

Many thanks x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Sending some hugs as I have no info. You are having atough time at the moment. Fudge sends some extra special zoomie hugs too.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Sending some hugs as I have no info. You are having atough time at the moment. Fudge sends some extra special zoomie hugs too.
Aww thanks Rachel and Fudge...I'm fine really, just getting this pain, but so much better than I was before my op xxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi Sheree

I had years of gynaecological problems and at the age of 39 had a hyterectomy (I retained my ovaries )

I have never regretted this decision, and do not take HRT or any other remedy.

I thought I was going through the change in 2005, but it all went away, and I occassionally get hot flushes but nothing I cant cope with.

Oh how I do not miss that each and every month, well mine were fortnightly, and went on for 10 days, making me feel so totally washed out

I recovered very well, and was able to be up and about in days, it never stopped me doing anything ( providing you don't overdo it in the first few weeks )

I'm 47 now and really do not understand why so many women put up with all the problems - I would recommend it everytime.

I look back and remember all the years with so much discomfort, and feeling totally washed out. I have ITP which is a blood disorder so realise why I was washed out and ruddy miserable.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I had mine in 1994 at 41 and it's the best thing I ever did!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Sorry you are going through this on top of everything else.

As far as a Hysterectomy is concerned, there are no downsides(for me) ... unless you are still planning in the future to have children!! the only other downside is it bringing on early menopause... but that will depend on whether they remove your ovaries or not.

I had one about 6 yrs ago, wont go into details as to why, but my surgeon offered me one and I jumped at it.... my life is now 100% better.

Yes it is a very invasive op, and the recovery rate is around 6/8 wks.... no heavy lifting and so on..but I do feel how quickly you recover is down to mind over matter, in other words how you cope with pain, and whether you are a ..."get on with it " person or a "I`m ill! type of person.

Having a hysterectomy is on a par of having a C-section , as far as the op goes...

After I had mine I was getting myself out of bed (in hospital) at being able to shower on my own a couple of days later.. I would potter around at home, dusting and so on...albeit gently.

I would take a little time to consider and discuss it in depth with your doctor... if it is going to improve your quality of life then it may be worth considering..

if it was me,, I would go for it..unless there is a less invasive treatment that will 100% resolve the problem.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I had one at 38 due to problems sounding very similar to Trixybird, and I too retained my ovaries. I eventually started my menopause a few years ago and tried HRT but all that did was make me put weight on, so after trying a few I went cold turkey and just put up with it. After reading about sage on here I gave that a go and it has certainly improved matters on the hot flushes front
I have never regretted having a hysterectomy, I too was very against it when my doctor first recommended it, but am so glad I had it done all those years ago. Go for it if thats what they recommend.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 09:29 AM
my hairdresser had hers out in May this year she is 28, she has had on going problems for years. To the point she was in so much pain she would fit. She was back to work in about 8 weeks and says she feels wonderful. I think she had everything taken due to very very bad endometriosis and adhesions (sp). SHe says it is the best thing she has ever done.

Another of my friends has had one too not sure why but she also says its the best things she did and recovered really quickly post op. neither are having any undesired after effects......

Good luck hope all goes well xxxx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I had a similar problem I had an ovarian cyst removed at 25 and never really managed to get pain free after it. I used to pass out three or four times a momth and throw up.
I ended up having the infected ovary removed and I was assured the pain would cease....yeah and the rest.
In the end after almost 6 years of agony and not justy at period times I changed gynaes and had my 4th laborascopy and I was diagnosed with endiometriosis as well as polycystic ovaries and I had a complete hysterectomy including my ovaries.
I can honestly say its the best thing that ever happened to me, for once I was pain free and could get on with my life.
If i was you i wouldnt hesitate.
Whatever you decide good luck Sherree I'm thinking of you.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks so much ladies...I've always suffered hence the reason I was on hormone tablets and had the hormone releasing coil fitted...sounds like it would be the best option really.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >