Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Morningglory, you have persevered this far and I have absolutely no doubt that you will keep at it for the foreseeable future!

Once again, I applaud you for what you have done for this poor dog.
Bitkin, glad to hear from you. Thank you for the support, and kind words. Yes I will keep at it long as I can. I am so glad that I have in the house ,safe and sound from all the lurking animals in the woods.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2013, 09:12 PM
You have actually come a very long way from those first terrible days when you first found this desperately frightened dog...........and I wonder if you have kept full notes daily? I can see that a book would make enthralling reading, even if it does take many years before you can truly say that he is comfortable with his life!!

No matter what the difficulties he throws your way, all you have to do is think of him out there in those woods all alone, and then look at him now, and your resolve will be strengthened even more if that is possible.

In a tiny way, I sort of understand how tied you are to the house now, because we have a rescue dog who cannot be left alone. We sometimes go away for a couple of days, and our daughter and her family come to stay which works well, but ordinary day to day life has changed because we have to ensure that one of us is here with him all the time. You just have to adjust don't you!!!

I really look forward to your next update. This is a story to gladden any heart
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2013, 08:32 PM
You have actually come a very long way from those first terrible days when you first found this desperately frightened dog...........and I wonder if you have kept full notes daily? I can see that a book would make enthralling reading, even if it does take many years before you can truly say that he is comfortable with his life!!

No matter what the difficulties he throws your way, all you have to do is think of him out there in those woods all alone, and then look at him now, and your resolve will be strengthened even more if that is possible.

In a tiny way, I sort of understand how tied you are to the house now, because we have a rescue dog who cannot be left alone. We sometimes go away for a couple of days, and our daughter and her family come to stay which works well, but ordinary day to day life has changed because we have to ensure that one of us is here with him all the time. You just have to adjust don't you!!!

I really look forward to your next update. This is a story to gladden any heart
I am glad that you understand ,and yes we do adjust to the situation. If he needs me now then that is what I must do. You know there are a lot of people that don't understand this. They will tell me I will not give up my opportunity to go traveling for any dog. Well that is what I must do right now, but things will change in the future. I have faith that I will one day have my neice or Sister stay here while I take a little trip somewhere. I never like to be gone for long stays, so that will be just fine. One step at a time is all I can do right now. He probably will never be a so called normal dog. But as long as I can make him comfortable and safe ,I feel like I am doing my job. He jumps at any strange noise , like the coffee maker making a beep when it is done brewing. I wish I would have logged everyday what went on with this dog, but you know most of it is on this Forum.So you take care , so nice to hear from you.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Although my Faye wasnt in such a dreadful state as Kye,she has ad 3 homes up until she was 5months,she was a worried and unhappy,it took us a while to get on top of her issues,but one of the most telling things is she doesnt like going in the car enjoys wherever we go ,but cant wait to jump in the car and return home she probably associates a car journey as being taken away, but what I am trying to say it is never over, some things will be always there, it's a long haul and you and I know this maybe one day they will love and trust us and the wary look in there eyes will go,but for now we can be pleased with the little steps like a wag of a tail or a paw reaching out things other dog owners take for granted.Gemini54
Gemini I so agree ,I am always pleased with any little step I receive from Kye. I never took him for a ride in the car yet, but I am sure it will not be smooth ordeal. I need to get him walking with a leash. I tried for a little while walking him in the yard. He either freezes on me ,or takes me for a run in the yard , whether I want to or not . You take care, talk to you soon.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Faye was scared of the lead,so bought one especially for her,and for a small part of the day this lead goes round the waist,and she likes being near,and her lead training is getting better,eventually will put her on normal leash outside,but things are better done slowly. Gemini54
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi Faye was scared of the lead,so bought one especially for her,and for a small part of the day this lead goes round the waist,and she likes being near,and her lead training is getting better,eventually will put her on normal leash outside,but things are better done slowly. Gemini54
Yep . I agree , slow process so he understands what I want him to do. Excuse my ignorance ,but did you hook the lead up to your waist and slowly walk around. I don't know if that would work with Kye ,he has some strength, I would probably be taken for a run down the stairs full speed ahead with him.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
Yep . I agree , slow process so he understands what I want him to do. Excuse my ignorance ,but did you hook the lead up to your waist and slowly walk around. I don't know if that would work with Kye ,he has some strength, I would probably be taken for a run down the stairs full speed ahead with him.
Hi have sent a link, the one I finally got was a police training lead.

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/re...your-dog-pulls
Gemini54
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Sorry MG.........I had to laugh at the picture of you hurtling along horizontally down the stairs

How would he react to just having the lead attached without you on the end of it? Perhaps you could start with a short piece of string, then progress to a longer one before finally clipping on a proper lead if all goes well. Then perhaps you could gently pick up the end and so on and so forth.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi have sent a link, the one I finally got was a police training lead.

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/re...your-dog-pulls
Gemini54
Gemini54 thank you for sending me this link I find it very informative. I will be trying the waist leash method on Kye. Thanks again!
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Sorry MG.........I had to laugh at the picture of you hurtling along horizontally down the stairs

How would he react to just having the lead attached without you on the end of it? Perhaps you could start with a short piece of string, then progress to a longer one before finally clipping on a proper lead if all goes well. Then perhaps you could gently pick up the end and so on and so forth.
Hi Bitkin, Little late on responding. I am taking all the suggestions that everyone is so kind to offer. I will also try yours. The progress that I have gotten so far with Kye is from the good people on this Dog Forum. I will let you know if I go flying down the steps horizontally.
Page 18 of 21 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >