Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Speechless.............
Don't forget that's on the independant tracks. GBGB tracks have a vet present at every race meet.
Important I think as we wouldn't want people looking in and reading this thread to think all greyhound tracks have no vet Jodie.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
They are working on improving that side of the sport though.
They have been 'working on it' for years.

We are living in an age where modern technology permits the placing of a bet half way around the world - yet the GBGB cannot compute the numbers of dogs licensed - injured - retired or destroyed??????
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
I don't understand the 'too slow' business, too slow for what?

If the GBGB don't know how many dogs go unaccounted for annually, how the hell does the Dogs Trust know? Guesstimate.
Yes - exactly. That's why it is an estimate only of between 5,000 and 8,000
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
It's obviously the way you word things Trudy.

It came across as an assumption! I know because I'm involved with the racing as a kennel hand and know exactly what the vets do.

It would seem you don't like hearing the good things that go on in racing and retirement, I know I'm not in the minority when it comes to rehoming my dogs.

I am not a trainer, I am an owner who has a kennel hands licence as I like to be involved and see exactly what goes on. However the dogs is a hobby and not my main employment.

Why do you want the dog's racing names? Do you not believe me?
Ok........so how long is a vet allocated to inspect the dogs prior to and after racing AND to treat injuries?

How do you know you are not in the minority when it comes to rehoming your dogs - do you personally know the other 1,000 plus trainers and the whereabouts of their dogs?

It was you who said - 'It really needs to be looked at in balance and based on good factual evidence and not just from one side'

I thought you would have been more that happy to provide that 'good factual evidence'
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Without reading the whole thread, from just reading the title, I would vote Yes to abolishing GH Racing.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2009, 11:35 PM
When a dog is rehomed to someone other than it's racing owner it is signed over to the new owner as a pet. The Greyhound is becoming more and more recognised as to what great pets they make, the public aren't being forced to rehome them. If this new owner then God forbid abandons said dog after a period of time how on earth can that be the responsibility of the racing industry.
Is it the fault of the RSPCA or other rehoming group when one of the dogs they re home turns up abandoned?
You are right that the public are not being forced to give these dogs a home. They are doing it because they have a greater charitable aspect than the owners and industry that discard these dogs (at best! What was Lipsey boasting last year? 20% of retired dogs are killed and he's not ashamed about that - nice).

Rehomings do sometimes go wrong. That is an unavoidable risk of rehoming (although the better the rehoming policies then the less go wrong) although to draw equivilence with the RSPCA who have never produced nor profited from the dogs they are rehoming is specious.

Dogs that the RSPCA are rehoming are dogs whose owners have failed them. There is the equivilence. Irresponsible owners and those who rehome their greys when they cannot profit from them any longer.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:49 PM
When a dog is rehomed to someone other than it's racing owner it is signed over to the new owner as a pet. The Greyhound is becoming more and more recognised as to what great pets they make, the public aren't being forced to rehome them. If this new owner then God forbid abandons said dog after a period of time how on earth can that be the responsibility of the racing industry.
Is it the fault of the RSPCA or other rehoming group when one of the dogs they re home turns up abandoned?
Far too often ex racers are given away 'free to good homes' - where no neutering or home checks are done or under other circumstances where irresponsible re-homing leads to eventual neglect or abandonment
http://www.greytexploitations.com/gr...homing-scandal

Any reputable re-homing scheme would include a clause which states the dog must be returned to the re-homing centre if the new owners no longer want the dog.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Don't forget that's on the independant tracks. GBGB tracks have a vet present at every race meet.
Important I think as we wouldn't want people looking in and reading this thread to think all greyhound tracks have no vet Jodie.
Of course - that all important 'welfare' promotional tool - the track vet.

You still haven't answered how long the vet has to inspect each dog 'fit to race' prior to racing - 'free from injury' after racing and to treat any injured dogs.

Oh I forgot about destroying dogs with minor/fatal injuries as well.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Ok........so how long is a vet allocated to inspect the dogs prior to and after racing AND to treat injuries?

How do you know you are not in the minority when it comes to rehoming your dogs - do you personally know the other 1,000 plus trainers and the whereabouts of their dogs?

It was you who said - 'It really needs to be looked at in balance and based on good factual evidence and not just from one side'

I thought you would have been more that happy to provide that 'good factual evidence'
It's not really a question of how much time they are allocated, the vet will check every dog on arrival at the track and don't finish until they've all been seen. The dogs are then weighed, ear marks checked etc and allocated a kennel.

Prior to a dogs race all six dogs in that particular race are coated up in their number jackets weighed again checked over again by the vet and earmarks checked.

After the race which the vet will watch, if there are any problems the vet will again see the dog concerned. The vet will treat and make a dog comfortable for as long as it takes. Races are never one straight after the other there is always an interval period between them giving the vet time to treat the dog.

Of course I don't, but I do go and support lots of different greyhound events including shows with my dogs and see all the thousands of greyhounds that have been successfully rehomed. I am also actively involved in the rehoming side.

The records held by RGT's are improving year on year for the number of greyhounds going into homes and those records won't include those taken home by their owners. For example my five won't be represented in those figures.
On the flip side of your question how do you really know I'm not in the minority? Do you personally know all the other trainers and the whereabouts of their dogs?

I still stand by what I say, it does need to be based on good factual evidence and not just from one side which I have provided.
I cannot stand any animal being cruelly treated and would never stand by and watch it happening. If it was happening I would do something about it, I have nothing to lose by doing so.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
You are right that the public are not being forced to give these dogs a home. They are doing it because they have a greater charitable aspect than the owners and industry that discard these dogs (at best! What was Lipsey boasting last year? 20% of retired dogs are killed and he's not ashamed about that - nice).

Rehomings do sometimes go wrong. That is an unavoidable risk of rehoming (although the better the rehoming policies then the less go wrong) although to draw equivilence with the RSPCA who have never produced nor profited from the dogs they are rehoming is specious.

Dogs that the RSPCA are rehoming are dogs whose owners have failed them. There is the equivilence. Irresponsible owners and those who rehome their greys when they cannot profit from them any longer.
Would you rather they weren't rehomed then?
Page 51 of 157 « First < 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 101 151 > Last »