Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Derren Brown suggests a very similar technique, such as carrying on a completely unconnected conversation as that confuses people.
So e.g they talk about your hairless dog, you take about strawberries, as if they were also having that conversation.
Unconnected conversation sounds a lot more pc than my approach, so I will have to remember that phrase for future use.

Thank you.
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2012, 07:06 AM
hahaha, i love that were all quite willing to look insane in defense of our dogs!

as for mange comments its astoundimg how many people mutter that hes got it as they walk past... and how few people actually ask by comparison if hes ill
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I like the unconnected conversation too - when I lived in Limassol, I'd often be told (usually in English but sometimes in Greek) that the 'boardwalk' was for swimmers (if I was walking it with my dog - not on the beach or in the sea).

My response was usually 'sorry I don't speak any Spanish' (said in perfect Spanish of course).

But my favourite reply was 'Please don't worry about my dog - she can't swim'.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 09:56 AM
oh just ignore them!!

people just dont understand hairless dogs, i get comments all the time, if they ask nicely then i will explain, if they are hostile like this man i ignore them and walk off.

you cant educate everyone, and you love your dog and know hes happy and healthy so thats all that matters
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I must be mad, or maybe I don't get out enough, but I quite enjoy random nutters and their comments! I normally freak them out by agreeing with absolutely everything they say, all of a sudden they are up for an arguement, but can't argue as I'm agreeing with everything...........
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I must be mad, or maybe I don't get out enough, but I quite enjoy random nutters and their comments! I normally freak them out by agreeing with absolutely everything they say, all of a sudden they are up for an arguement, but can't argue as I'm agreeing with everything...........
i once stunned a man into silence when he looked at asbo trotting along with a tennis ball in his mouth and said "what's that?" to which i replied, "well i got told he was an extremely rare breed of cat, but i think i may have been conned"
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i once stunned a man into silence when he looked at asbo trotting along with a tennis ball in his mouth and said "what's that?" to which i replied, "well i got told he was an extremely rare breed of cat, but i think i may have been conned"
that is tge funniest thing ive heard all day!! xD
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2012, 11:20 AM
People can be very strange and tactless sometimes! I get similar comments about my dogs being skinny (whippets), even though one of them is a little on the porky side for my liking at the moment. I guess people very rarely see hairless breeds and don't know what to make of them. If you can educate them about the truth of ther matter, as it seems you did, then that's pretty much the best you can do. If they still remain obnoxious...well, there's no hope for some people!

I wish I could stumble across a fun show like that! I'd love to enter Billy in "most appealing eyes" and Sneaks in "dog the judge would most like to take home" (he can do an excellent impression of not being a pain when he's charming new people)
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by SneaksyWhippet View Post
People can be very strange and tactless sometimes! I get similar comments about my dogs being skinny (whippets), even though one of them is a little on the porky side for my liking at the moment. I guess people very rarely see hairless breeds and don't know what to make of them. If you can educate them about the truth of ther matter, as it seems you did, then that's pretty much the best you can do. If they still remain obnoxious...well, there's no hope for some people!

I wish I could stumble across a fun show like that! I'd love to enter Billy in "most appealing eyes" and Sneaks in "dog the judge would most like to take home" (he can do an excellent impression of not being a pain when he's charming new people)
it was pure luck that we found it! haha, vodou is the opposite of Sneaks then xD hes fantastic at being a pain in the bum in public but it sweet and well behaved at home.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
Presumably that would have been a Sphinx

As a child I used to walk a ferret on a lead, he would also walk off lead and come to a whistle.
This was a few (*cough cough *) years ago, before they were popular pets.

If people asked about him I would talk about ferrets, but I was asked what sort of dog he was I used to say he was a rare Australian rabbit hound.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >