View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Fun dog show, sad state of affairs (why the hostility?)

All in all today was a really happy day for the oh and I, our boy Vodou is finally with us in London after a few moves on our part and a long wait. He was thrilled to see us both and us him, and we were lucky enough to stumble across a fun dog show on our first walk in the area with him, just in time to register for classes too!

There were easily a hundred dogs there throughout the course of the day and so many different breeds, everything from french bulldogs and Jindo's to some very cute cross breeds. Vodou behaved himself beautifully and made a couple of friends, taking a particular shine to a large staffie and trying desperately to play with her all day, it was lovely to see them interact so happily, very cute indeed. He did get snapped at by a couple of older dogs but took it in his stride and barely batted an eyelid.

I missed the most handsome dog class, but managed to get into three others, best six legs (where we got second place), most appealing eyes (where we got nothing) and dog with the waggiest tail, in which we got first place! Vodou is officially the happiest dog in the area, and on his first day no less! We won two lovely rosettes and enough treats to last a couple of months as well as a free couple of photos by a photographer who was there.

However a bit of a dampener was put on it for me by a local man who imho was overly hostile after we won the waggiest tail class.
I came out of the ring and went to stand with my parents and oh, and this man approached us and started saying that it wasn't natural for a dog to be bald and he must be cold. I calmly explained that it was natural as he was born that way and that he has plenty of coats should the weather be poor (it was sunny here today and pretty warm) and that you can judge their temperature by how cold their ears feel. The man then felt his ears and said he was too cold, before touching his boy and saying he was unnaturally hot...!
He then persisted in telling me that he couldn't be happy because he had no fur, that it was unnatural and he must be a very unhappy dog, and did I REALLY think he was happy and healthy??? Now, Vodous tail never stops wagging and he is healthy and loving and in my opinion a very happy little chappy but this guy rattled my cage badly... I gave him a full breed history pretty much, and an explanation of how healthy the breed is as they have had minimal human interference compared to the vast majority of other breeds, and that they are a very very old breed, and that they are very long lived and intelligent loving dogs.
He didn't listen to a word of it and got right up in my face to ask me again 'but how do you know he's happy?' before walking off!

Why do people feel the need to be so confrontational?
Does anyone else ever experience this type of thing, or was I just particularly unlucky to meet the local nut job today?

Anyhow, ill post up a couple of photos from today shorty Must focus on the positives and Vodou did have a lovely day out which was fantastic!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Just ignore them. Most people don't know the first thing about Labradors let alone Xolo's. Btw I've been told that Vodou is related to a coated Xolo called Deeta? My Louie took a shine to Deeta at a show we went to.
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Just ignore them. Most people don't know the first thing about Labradors let alone Xolo's. Btw I've been told that Vodou is related to a coated Xolo called Deeta? My Louie took a shine to Deeta at a show we went to.
Haha, very true, its just a shame people feel the need to voice their negative opinion so loudly!
He is indeed, Deeta is his litter sister, a very lovely little girl, she was the cutest little puppy. Shes got lovely colouration hasnt she My ex was so taken with her he seriously tried to convince me that we should have a coated instead of a hairless but Vodou had won my heart already.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by XoloLover View Post
Haha, very true, its just a shame people feel the need to voice their negative opinion so loudly!
He is indeed, Deeta is his litter sister, a very lovely little girl, she was the cutest little puppy. Shes got lovely colouration hasnt she My ex was so taken with her he seriously tried to convince me that we should have a coated instead of a hairless but Vodou had won my heart already.
Indeed, she only lives up the road from me too I loved the show when we met her it was a Yew tree show, Spinones and Xolo's. Never seen so many naked dogs
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Develop a technique which no one can battle.

Act like someone with dementia and respond to each accusatory remark with phrases such as, "you do remind me of my third cousin Keith"

"Did you know Keith"

"He used to like wearing green shirts like you"

etc etc

People are very afraid of nutters (no disrespect to specific individuals)
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Smokeybear I just laughed out loud at that and my oh is all for using that technique XD

SLB there are a lot of Xolo's up your way, did you meet his mum Diva too? I love Spinones they've got such sweet faces!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Act like someone with dementia and respond to each accusatory remark with phrases such as, "you do remind me of my third cousin Keith"

"Did you know Keith"

etc etc

Lol. Im soooooo going to try this!!

Ignore him though. He believes he's right and if him thinking he knows best made his sad little day a bit brighter, then let him have his moment. Im sure a miserable dog would never have won that class so you can go home safe in the knowledge that your boy is a happy little fella!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

"Did you know Keith"

etc etc

Brilliant! I must try that!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Did you know my boxers are runts because they are white
Oh and they are not real boxers because they have tails ...
2 of the many things I have heard ..

And you sure your dog has not got mange no coats equals mange right
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by XoloLover View Post
Smokeybear I just laughed out loud at that and my oh is all for using that technique XD

SLB there are a lot of Xolo's up your way, did you meet his mum Diva too? I love Spinones they've got such sweet faces!
I couldn't be sure. I met quite a lot of them. I know her brother was there, a hairless.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >