Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 04:53 PM

New member in the house hold

Well yesterday we acquired a new creature in the house,
a guinea pig! What info can you guys give me on guinea pigs and their care?
Thanks
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:17 PM
i used to have guinea pigs when i was small, i love them, cant wait for the day i can have another

theyre quit easy to look after, is it living indoor or out? mine lived outside had a hutch, and a run that got moved about the lawn when the weather was nice id make sure they spent a good lot of the day in their run.

food wise they used to have a complete food for guinea pigs, and then i would give them extras like salad and veg.

they love being handled (mine did anyway) love a good cuddle and sit on your knee.

like i said i think they are quite easy to look after.

pictures please! how did you aqquire him/her?
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:52 PM
She came from a work colleage, who couldn't keep her, poor little thing she spent a terrifying evening, with Jed trying to poke his nose through the cage, then the cat came in and spent an hr sat infront of the cage.
She's being kept inside, way to cold where I live, name Micky, very cute, will get a photo of her on soon.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I used to keep G-pigs you will need to clean out frequently or they will smell thats the one thing I all ways hear from other owners is the smell!

They are relatively healthy animals I have never had any problems with them tbh great little pearsonalities they love attention though my knlowledge on what they eat has somewhat lost me over the years as I have not kept any isnce I was about 12.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Awwww. I am relatively new to them. They prefer to have fleecy blankets in their cages as opposed to sawdust which can irritate their eyes and skin. They need hay to eat and fresh fruit and veg as they can't make their own vitamin c. They poo A LOT!! I put thick
Kitchen roll down over the fleece where ours wee and poo and change it on a daily basis.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2012, 06:04 PM
How many have you got Ramble?
Found a couple of good websites last night as did OH ( which was good , cos when I turned up with a guinea pig, he said 'it's not staying')
How often do you wash the fleece blanket? every couple of days?
At the mo am using sawdust, but also read that it isn't good, so will look to change. she also has hay and am giving fresh fruit and veggies,
How did your dogs take to the guinea pigs? Alltho my bigger concern is the cat........