Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Maisey

Hi all,
I've copied and pasted the bit below from my last post on my intro post, but here's a couple of pictures of our new rescue, Maisey

We picked Maisey up Saturday morning, and she's settling quite well.
She's in season (new experience for us, we've only ever had Dogs) which is a bit of a nuisance as we're avoiding other dogs at the moment although, to be fair, we do have loads of places we can walk where you don't see another soul.

She's doing very well, but she seems to be very unfit and is a slightly strange shape.
She has a slight covering of fat on her ribs but her waist is very thin and her backbone is very prominent.

We think she may have been a yard dog as she has those typical bald skin spots from a dog that lies on concrete a lot but she's taken extremely well to a large squidgy bed
The only slight issue we've had has been a growl at my Daughter which appeared to be related to guarding a chew.
I think we may have provoked it by keeping my Daughter a safe distance from her (she's a large, poweful dog with no background history so we're taking no chances) which gave Maisey a false impression of her pack status.
Anyway, we seem to have worked around that already with my Daughter approaching her with treats and feeding her and I'm confident that it won't be an issue but something that we'll obviously keep a very close eye on.

The only problem she really has it that she's so nervous. She flinches when you stroke her, although she's quickly getting to love lots of attention and she's so incredibly miserable!
She follows you everywhere, looking unsure of herself, with big, sad eyes which is a real shame to see but it's very early days and for the first time this morning, I was greeted to her stubbly little tail (looks as if someone's attempted to dock it badly) thumping on her bed this morning

She also drinks, and wees, a lot but I do wonder if it's more of a nervous problem than any health problem.

Once she's settled better we'll take her to the vets for her vaccinations and to be chipped and get a thorough examination done, but it's all going well so far.

Walking her has proved interesting, in spite of her poor condition she is incredibly powerful and pulls like a train.
Even that is showing improvement through training though (until she spots a cat or rabbit ) and she appears to have no road sense whatsoever!

We have until next Saturday to return her if there are any problems but, quite honestly, we're prepared to do whatever it takes to keep her so I'm sure she's here to stay

I'll put a picture up in the relevant section soon and keep you all updated with her progress.

Cheers,

Chris
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
She's a beautiful looking girl.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
She's beautiful, well done for taking her on. Was she from a rescue? Hope she soon settles and stops being so scared, bless her.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank's both

Yes, she is a rescue, and she's making fantastic progress with her confidence.
She definitely is a little more happier with every day that passes, her new found love is having her tummy rubbed!
I don't think she's ever experienced it before as she'd enjoy it for a few seconds, then jump up looking confused and guilty.

It amazes me that dogs are so forgiving to humans with some of the things they endure, we had our last rescue for over 10 Years but he never quite got over the involuntary cringe if you raised your arm near him, although it obviously got vastly better with time.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
She is beautiful, I hope she gets over her teething problems and soon adjusts to enjoying life as a much loved family pet
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Her tail is normal, it is not unusual for a Rott to have a kink in its tail. Of course if she were docked you would be none the wiser.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Murv View Post
Hi all,

She's doing very well, but she seems to be very unfit and is a slightly strange shape.
She has a slight covering of fat on her ribs but her waist is very thin and her backbone is very prominent.
Chris
This is quite common with dogs who have not actually been walked a lot, the fat stays where there are no muscle and the muscles waist away due to lack of exercise.

I cannot actually see the pics at the mo however.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Shes beautiful
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Gorgeous.
Murv
Dogsey Junior