View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Australian Tea Tree Oil can be toxic, especially to cats.

Please read http://www.vet-task-force.com/Abstract-tea-tree-oil.htm or Google - Tea Tree toxicity OR Tea Tree toxicity dogs
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Australian Tea Tree Oil can be toxic, especially to cats.

Please read http://www.vet-task-force.com/Abstract-tea-tree-oil.htm or Google - Tea Tree toxicity OR Tea Tree toxicity dogs
Thankyou Shadowboxer, I just knew I heard this vet say on the radio the other week something about tea tree oil and the word "poisonous" mentioned, and that's what made me stop using it immediately.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Mini! how much actual garlic (not powder) a week would you say for a big dog?...and if you give them the garlic is that all you really need to keep the fleas away?...Right now I am using Frontline 'spot on' but would like something more natural for mine too.
Meg
Supervisor

25-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Thankyou Shadowboxer, I just knew I heard this vet say on the radio the other week something about tea tree oil and the word "poisonous" mentioned, and that's what made me stop using it immediately.
Thanks SB I guess like most things it does not suit all animals, it is used in its own right as a pet product over here ..this is just one retailer

I also get Tee tree shampoo from the pet shop.
Meg
Supervisor

25-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Mini! how much actual garlic (not powder) a week would you say for a big dog?...and if you give them the garlic is that all you really need to keep the fleas away?...Right now I am using Frontline 'spot on' but would like something more natural for mine too.
Hi Mys have you read this by TD?

It explains about being careful because garlic can affect /thin the blood,and it is a member of the onion family so use it with care and in moderation, many advise using it for a number of days than having a break,so maybe a clove three times a week for a big dog ..TD has big dogs and I think says a clove I can't say if it will work alone on your local fleas
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 03:45 PM
...Not sure about the fleas we have locally...lol...I don't see many loutish fleas hanging around street corners, as oppossed to the well behaved ones in the next town...lol...

wouldn't the fleas be the same one area to the next...lol

No seriously, I do get what you mean!

Thank you mini I will make sure I read that article
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Thanks SB I guess like most things it does not suit all animals, it is used in its own right as a pet product over here ..this is just one retailer

I also get Tee tree shampoo from the pet shop.
Yes Mini, the one I was using for Georgie's sore skin was specifically for dogs, a soother for the skin, no wonder he never attempted to lick it off! Anyway, the vet on the radio did not say "don't use it as it's poisonous", he actually said something along the lines of "be careful with it, as it is a poison" and that's what put me off when I heard that. I'm sure the products sold at the pet shop must be safe and maybe he was talking about using it in it's raw state. Anyway, after reading that link I for one will now steer well clear of it only because I have already had an incident with Cassie eating something poisonous once and as you say things can be safe for one dog but not another. Thank goodness for the internet though, and we can read up on all these things
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

25-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Hiya, link below gives recipes for home made flea repellants
http://www.lacetoleather.com/safefleacure.html

Scroll to about half way down the link below, some more there

I give my labs a clove frech crushed garlic daily, half/quarter would be ok for small dog
forgot to put the link
http://www.wholisticanimal.com/herbs_a-m.asp

One below is all about herbs & info on using them
http://www.naturalark.com/herbenc.html
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Very interesting! Thanks Christine. I used to make up my own fly repellent for the horse with citronella and lemon as it says in the first link, but the flies used to land on him as I was spraying it! They're not supposed to like citronella are they!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

25-07-2005, 05:06 PM
No not supposed to Helen
Mind loads of flies here, drive us mad nothing ever seems to get rid of em
If you find something that works let me know
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3