View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FinGaTipZ
New Member!
Female 

08-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Owner of chocolate Labrador bitch 11months old - Breeding advice please?

Is it really necessary to have hips & eyes scored and elbows measured before we consider our chocolate lab for breeding within next 18 months .... in Norfolk we have to travel to Cambridge and leave her overnight for this to be done....! Do poss purchasers of the lab pups not want to buy puppies that are without certificates. The sire is registered and the mother I beleive is? However, I do not yet have the details nor paperwork to hand the litter was 11 puppies born 23.9.08. I am in the process of pursuing this in communication with lady whom we bought her from.

Ella Dora is a healthly, intelligent adorable chocolate lab, so we are considering breeding her we are about to go the vet route... any advice would be welcome .... Do you have to have a breeding plan? Budget costs any ideas?

Also sorry ... what is the suitable height for a lab bitch?

Thank you

FinGaTipZ
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi there, if you are asking if you should breed your dog when it is only 11 months, I think the answer would be no
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I didn`t understand your post.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm glad you said that C & D, I thought it was just me.

FinGaTipZ: I think some of your post didn't come out or something
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, you should have eye tests, hip scores and elbow scores done BEFORE breeding and make sure the tests are back before you mate your bitch.

Nobody with any sense will buy one from untested parents.

You should make absolutely certain your bitch is KC registered, by what you are saying I doubt if she is, and if she is, she will most certainly still be registered in the breeders name not yours.

Have you any pics of your dog you'd like us to see? You do seem a little vague. I doubt we'd be able to advise on size by a picture, what are your concerns on this?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi
You need to do all health tests before even going down the route of which stud you would use. IF she is KC registered you should have already had paperwork for her if she is now 11 months, so doubt that she is, If thats the case you have no way of knowing her lineage so its not worth the risk of breeding.
You could breed her to a close relative for all you know if you dont have her lines.

Second to that, why do you want to breed ?

Third to that, take a look at labrador rescue and at all your local rescues and see how many labs there are waiting for good homes, do you want to possibly add to that rescue situation by bringing more dogs into the world.

Finally, If you really want to go ahead after doing all of the above do you have the means to take any pups back or keep pups if you cannot sell them or situations in their new homes change - If you cant do even think about it.

JMO obviously, but unless she is a shining example of her breed with the best lines behind her i cant see the need to breed her when she is a lovely family pet and thats all she needs to be.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by FinGaTipZ View Post
Is it really necessary to have hips & eyes scored and elbows measured before we consider our chocolate lab for breeding within next 18 months .... in Norfolk we have to travel to Cambridge and leave her overnight for this to be done....! Do poss purchasers of the lab pups not want to buy puppies that are without certificates. The sire is registered and the mother I beleive is? However, I do not yet have the details nor paperwork to hand the litter was 11 puppies born 23.9.08. I am in the process of pursuing this in communication with lady whom we bought her from.

Ella Dora is a healthly, intelligent adorable chocolate lab, so we are considering breeding her we are about to go the vet route... any advice would be welcome .... Do you have to have a breeding plan? Budget costs any ideas?

Also sorry ... what is the suitable height for a lab bitch?

Thank you

FinGaTipZ
Hello from a fellow Lab owner.

Labs are such a dime a dozen that you would seriously struggle to sell an unregistered/unhealth tested bitches puppies. Well, you may be able to sell them, but to questionable people. Without proving your bitch in some way, health testing and KC registration, unfortunately you cannot justify selling the puppies for the same amount as those who breed responsibly do. Therefore you may find that people after a pup are doing so because they are cheap.

Labs are THE most popular breed in the country and therefore we have a lot of breeders producing very high quality specimens of the breed. People have the option of purchasing a pup from breeders who show, trial, work and health test their dogs extensively. Without being rude, what does you bitch have to offer? she may be a nice pet, but the vast majority of Labs are nice pets with brilliant temperaments. This isn't enough reason to breed.

If you are absolutely adamant about breeding, the reality is that there is little on here people can say to persuade you otherwise. At the VERY least you need your bitch health tested for all conditions that affect the breed. She will need to have her hips and elbows scored, a yearly eye examination, Optigen testing and be DNA tested for CNM.

Labradors have LARGE litters. My boy was one of 10 or 11. If you cannot sell some of the puppies (which is VERY real possibility given the type of breeding that it would be), do you have the facilities and the funding to keep them for as long as it takes? also, as a breeder, you have responsibility for the dogs you produce for life. If someone can no longer keep one of your pups, can you take them back? do you have the expertise and knowledge to guide your puppy buyers through any questions and problems they might have?

There is far more to breeding than just putting two dogs together. Again, if you want to breed, that is your choice. But I strongly recommend for the sake of your bitch that you just enjoy her as the pet she is supposed to be. The Lab population is already way over what it should be and unfortunately breeding 'because she is a nice pet' is not enough. Think about it; if EVEYONE bred their nicely tempered, sweet natured dogs, there would literally be billions of puppies. The kindest option is to spay.
FinGaTipZ
New Member!
Female 

09-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Thank you all; you have all been very honest and curt at times I feel extremely got at and ignorant.....but I'm learning fast!

Guess what....I am a responsible human being too! Thank you ... Be assured I want to breed my dog for all the right reasons, I am talking to my vet, going to get her scored, tested, trained and am seeing good results, talking to the previous breeder ref mothers paper work, fathers I already have. And I am taking advice, even though it's very negative at times!

I agree with some of you but not all, I would measure the spaying as just as much of a risk and the life long side effects...weight gain etc. could decrease her life expectancy anyway and cause other serious issues?

You're all amazing dog lovers, medals and tropheys unlimited I'm certain - however, that is not why I am
doing this be assured.

No definite decision made yet, still seeking info .... she is only 11 months, I wouldn't consider breeding until she is at least 2.6 years old. Do not be anxious please.

Regards
Fingatipz
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by FinGaTipZ View Post
Thank you all; you have all been very honest and curt at times I feel extremely got at and ignorant.....but I'm learning fast!

Guess what....I am a responsible human being too! Thank you ... Be assured I want to breed my dog for all the right reasons, I am talking to my vet, going to get her scored, tested, trained and am seeing good results, talking to the previous breeder ref mothers paper work, fathers I already have. And I am taking advice, even though it's very negative at times!

I agree with some of you but not all, I would measure the spaying as just as much of a risk and the life long side effects...weight gain etc. could decrease her life expectancy anyway and cause other serious issues?

You're all amazing dog lovers, medals and tropheys unlimited I'm certain - however, that is not why I am
doing this be assured.

No definite decision made yet, still seeking info .... she is only 11 months, I wouldn't consider breeding until she is at least 2.6 years old. Do not be anxious please.

Regards
Fingatipz
hi
im afraid no one is being 'curt' just truthfull,the dogs are the main priority on this site and then the owners! sorry
now my turn to be 'curt' its up to you if you want to breed ,and do it all correctly!,just a couple of questions on your posts
if she is not registered how do you think you are going to get the hip scores and eye tests?(makes no difference if her perents are, if she isnt)
why do you want to breed then?
and lastly,im sorry ,but it is rubbish that the danger of spaying outweighs the risk of side effects!!!pyo's are life threatening!!and happen alot
and to be an owner of a lab and use weight gain as the excuse you should be watching her weight anyway exp as she is a teenager,if you watch her weight as every good dog owner should,this shouldnt be an issue
good luck
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I certainly wouldn't breed from her unless you get her paperwork sorted out first. Then do tests & get a book on your breed that includes the KC breed standard so you can check that she conforms to it in every way.
Hope you get her registration sorted.
Must also say the risk of pymetra with an unspayed bitch far outways any other risks both pro & con,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >