Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bigman88
New Member!
Male 

21-11-2015, 06:07 AM

Our dogs front left leg has seriously crooked outward all of a sudden

Hello all. We have a miniature pinscher dog that we found running around in queens in 2010. No one was looking or posted anything anywhere, despite her being already trained, well groomed, chipped, and well fed. Wherever she came from, she was taken care of fine. We were never sure of her age, but a vet said she is full grown after examining her. Also, she started growing gray hairs a few years ago, and looks more elderly. She also always had a limp that would flare up from time to time from since when we first got her. Now that limp is constant, and can be quite severe.

My mom took too long to cut her nails, and the inner blood vessels in the nails grew as long as the nails. So even if my mom cuts the very tip of the overly long nail, it still bleeds. The long nails pressing into the floor makes her toes all crooked and twisted, but as of recently, we woke up the next day to find her front left leg crooked waaaay outward.

It wasn't gradual either. It was literally over the course of a day and a half. Thing is she does never had problems with that leg, but she does have problems with her back right leg, which makes her limp slightly at times to severely at other times, sometimes so much that she does not let it touch the ground. When she is excited, she does not limp for some reason.

The vet says that this crooked leg is from her long nails making her leg contort, as well as a calcium deficiency issue. i think this doc doesn't know what he/she is talking about. But i'm not a doc either. Can anyone help us out?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2015, 05:21 PM
I would get a second opinion...today. Especially for a small breed that looks like it needs treatment immediately.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2015, 06:08 PM
like lovemybull says if you aren't happy with what the vet has said find another vet and ask them to check your dog for you, hope your pup is o.k
bigman88
New Member!
Male 

22-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys. Was just afraid of going to another vet and getting the same rushed answer.

Will do this.